Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!
Been working with Keith @dirtydeeds for a few months and finally got everything squared away, for the most party. I decided on 700lb springs for the coilovers since I wanted a stiffer ride and would have the springs on already if I decide to put a heavier front bumper on eventually. Also went without the adjusters since I didn’t think I’d use them and couldn’t justify spending $600 on them “just to have them.” Did the install last weekend and it went well!!! Only infuriating part was the shackle removal...wow that bolt was stuck in there. Had to use a press to get it out of the leaf spring.

Here are a few pics, because that’s why we are all here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You got good amount of lift! When will we get a ride report?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it turned out really well!
I've driven about 400 miles since the install on Sunday 10/08 (had a business trip for a trade show in there, I don't normally drive that much haha). So far, no settling, and I don't really expect the front to settle since they're stiff springs.
The ride is stiff but not harsh. Very responsive and much better than stock. Taking a speedbump at 40mph is fantastic, while 5mph is stiff. Not to say it's bad a slow speeds, but you know you're very aware that you just went over a speed bump.
Highway driving is planted and responds well. You would never know the truck is as heavy as it is and that it's lifted. Drives much more sporty on backroads and bodyroll feels like it's been eliminated (I know it's still there but much much less).
I left the front swaybar on, since I still drive on the highway quite a bit and didn't it being a good fit for me.

As for the tires, this is my first set of KO2's and I'm loving them so far. Not loud. No hum (that I can notice) on the highway. Very responsive. Holds a bit of rocks but nothing too substantial. Can report back once we get some snow in the coming months. I'm hoping they hold up well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah it turned out really well!
I've driven about 400 miles since the install on Sunday 10/08 (had a business trip for a trade show in there, I don't normally drive that much haha). So far, no settling, and I don't really expect the front to settle since they're stiff springs.
The ride is stiff but not harsh. Very responsive and much better than stock. Taking a speedbump at 40mph is fantastic, while 5mph is stiff. Not to say it's bad a slow speeds, but you know you're very aware that you just went over a speed bump.
Highway driving is planted and responds well. You would never know the truck is as heavy as it is and that it's lifted. Drives much more sporty on backroads and bodyroll feels like it's been eliminated (I know it's still there but much much less).
I left the front swaybar on, since I still drive on the highway quite a bit and didn't it being a good fit for me.

As for the tires, this is my first set of KO2's and I'm loving them so far. Not loud. No hum (that I can notice) on the highway. Very responsive. Holds a bit of rocks but nothing too substantial. Can report back once we get some snow in the coming months. I'm hoping they hold up well.
Have you tried driving without the front sway on? I have a similar setup except with #600 springs and camburg ucas. I don't notice any huge increase in body roll without it, and with #700 springs in front you shouldn't notice much either.. the biggest difference is that speed bumps feel like little pebbles now lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mah I haven’t tried driving without the sway bar yet. The speed bumps weren’t bad after 15 mph but under that and it’s stiff, you know? Not bad stiff, just not like when you go fast over them. I may have to try without the sway bar just to see if I like it better. Loving the ride as is right now though so I may wait a bit.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Really 17x8.5? What offset?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The only thing left now is to take it off road and see how the system works overall. 700 lb springs are stiff for technical trails imo, but may work well for Baja style off road driving provided your shocks are valved for it.

I switched from 600 lb springs to 500 lb in my 2010 Crewmax 4x4 last week. I have stock valving on my Kings. No compression adjusters. Smooth like butter on the front. I have no front sway bar and rear sway bar. Still stable. The rears are stock springs, tires and wheels are stock size with AT tires. I have 630 lbs of weight on the bed for traction. I have taken it on some off road lot with big deep potholes and have also driven it on some rutted roads with broken asphalt at bit higher speed. I love it.

Today, I'll play with the front coil over preload and shift some of the weight on the back of the bed towards the cab. These weights are for tuning. Current lift on front is only 1 inch. About 3/8 of an inch threads showing on the coil overs.

I got the 500 lb coils for my 2007 RCSB 4x2 Tundra. it got totaled in an accident--aiir bags deployed. So I got the Crewmax. I love the torque on this truck compared to the RCSB. I just can't explain it. Thus my theory: not all Tundras are the same-software wise.

Reactions: rruff

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
0 offset. Slight rub on the front fender liner at first but since trimmed. It’s the only offset that double standard comes in for 17x8.5 on our trucks. Could have gone with just “standard” and gotten et25 iirc
You'd have to go with 18" rims. Icon Six Speeds are the only 17s that are tucked at all (+25).

I'm betting you will have more rub at the front and rear of the well if you hit bumps while turning. Might not be that bad though.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I switched from 600 lb springs to 500 lb in my 2010 Crewmax 4x4 last week. I have stock valving on my Kings. No compression adjusters. Smooth like butter on the front. I have no front sway bar and rear sway bar. Still stable.
Interesting, never heard of using 500lb springs. If you have only 1" of lift, that's all from strut length, so very light spring preload.

I've heard lots of complaints from people with 600lb springs who try to crank them up for high lift. Spring preload makes a big difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You'd have to go with 18" rims. Icon Six Speeds are the only 17s that are tucked at all (+25).

I'm betting you will have more rub at the front and rear of the well if you hit bumps while turning. Might not be that bad though.

Yeah that’s right, and I didn’t want to go with those. I’m happy how they sit. May need flares depending how much rocks and dirt etc they throw on the side of the truck.

There is a small spot when turning the wheel, maybe 70% through the full turn of the wheel where it rubs. Then keep turning and rubbing goes away. Likely the body mount slightly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing left now is to take it off road and see how the system works overall. 700 lb springs are stiff for technical trails imo, but may work well for Baja style off road driving provided your shocks are valved for it.

I switched from 600 lb springs to 500 lb in my 2010 Crewmax 4x4 last week. I have stock valving on my Kings. No compression adjusters. Smooth like butter on the front. I have no front sway bar and rear sway bar. Still stable. The rears are stock springs, tires and wheels are stock size with AT tires. I have 630 lbs of weight on the bed for traction. I have taken it on some off road lot with big deep potholes and have also driven it on some rutted roads with broken asphalt at bit higher speed. I love it.

Today, I'll play with the front coil over preload and shift some of the weight on the back of the bed towards the cab. These weights are for tuning. Current lift on front is only 1 inch. About 3/8 of an inch threads showing on the coil overs.

I got the 500 lb coils for my 2007 RCSB 4x2 Tundra. it got totaled in an accident--aiir bags deployed. So I got the Crewmax. I love the torque on this truck compared to the RCSB. I just can't explain it. Thus my theory: not all Tundras are the same-software wise.

Yeah I’m eager to take it off road and see what it can all do. I’ve heard great things about the setup and King’s in general and definitely looking forward to it. Should be going on some mild trails and going to Cape Lookout next spring to camp and get away for a bit. Should be a good time.

Never heard of 500lb springs on the tundra. Must be a soft ride for sure. Very little lift so little preload. Once you crank the springs I think you’ll notice your soft plush ride get a little less plush. Let me know how it works out messing with the preload

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ya, take a look when you are at that point. The rub will get worse if you have any spring compression.

I did the BMC on mine. Didn't weld a plate. I think it's plenty strong even cut. I suspect the reason they made it stick into the wheel well more is to contain the wheel (keep it out of the cab) in certain types of crash scenarios.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Did you leave the kings at the height setting out of the box or did you adjust them up ? How much did your fuel mileage change with the new tires?
Sorry man, just seeing this.
I left the kings on the same height setting as Keith @dirtydeeds sent them to me. Approx 12 threads showing on drivers side, 9 threads showing on passenger side.
I did not install a speedo calibrator for the 35's, so my numbers are a bit off.
Before (filling once light turns on, about 20gal/26gal tank)
330 miles to a tank
Dash reads 16.9MPG (math says 16.5MPG, 20gal/310miles)

After (filling once light turns on, about 20gal/26gal tank)
285 miles to tank
Dash reads 13.7MPG (math says 14.25MPG, 20gal/285miles)

BUT, when my dash shows 50mph, it's really 55mph. Therefore +10ish miles per 100 traveled on the trip. My 285 on the dash after 20 gallons turns into 315. Making it 15.75MPG

Maybe I'm just talking in circles here...and none of this makes sense haha.

Quick update as well:
No sag, same FTG measurements as posted in my other thread.
Rides the same as the day they were installed. 2500 miles ago.
Very happy with the ride of the Kings and would absolutely do the exact same setup again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.