Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My previous car was the 4runner and my biggest gripe with the OEM suspension was the crazy amount of squatting under braking. I eventually decided on the Icon stage 5 because I liked the idea of digressive valving. I wanted stiff on-road demeanor with a softer ride as I pushed it off road. I managed to put on about 7k miles on the Icon suspension. Initially I was very pleased with the suspension but over time I felt that it was a bit too stiff for my liking.

Fast forward... I ended up trading in my 4runner for the 2018 Tundra. I needed a car with more power and better gearing. I decided to try out the King suspension this time around because I wanted to see how different King suspensions were with their progressive valving.

I've put about 100 miles on the Kings and so far I like them better than the Icons. The Kings seem to have a bit more bounce to it, but it is a weird sensation. It is almost buttery soft but not so soft that it bounces everywhere. The dampening and rebound is a lot smoother for on road/everyday driving. The icons had a lot less bounce but a lot more of the force transferred into the cabin.

Near my house there is a 2 or 3 foot dip which I usually bombed with my 4runner. I felt like the 4runner w/ Icons felt a bit more stable through the dip than my Tundra w/ Kings. Obviously there is going to be a lot more factors. The tundra is obviously a heavier and longer vehicle so the characteristics will be different on large bumps like this.

The Kings w/ Total Chaos UCA are definitely MUCH quieter than the Icon stage 5 kit. The stage 5 kit quickly started squeeking at the UCA and I had to apply quite a bit of Tri-flow to keep it quiet. So far the Kings w/ Total choas UCA have been silent... almost as quiet as OEM.

I would highly recommend both Icon and King suspension, but so far I have been liking Kings better. As I put more mileage on the Kings, I will try to update you guys if I notice anything that I dislike about them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is the KING setup I want for my '16 DC. Can't decide between the icon rear leaf pack or a coachbuilder+2 shackle. I will probably do adjusters on the front also.

Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally found something that I don't like about the Kings. So I drive on the 215 freeway (las vegas) pretty regularly between Gibson and McCarran Airport and there is a stretch that has a bit of a washboard effect. When I'm driving around 70 mph on this stretch it will really make the truck bounce up and down very noticeably. If im trying to talk, it will make my voice oscillate quite a bit. The 4runner with the stage 5 icons did not bounce as much because they were noticeably stiffer.

It seems like on the small and continuous bumps, the king suspension will allow the truck to bounce a bit. I'm assuming the additional length and the lack of weight over the rear wheel makes it worse. It is not the end of the world, but its somewhat of an annoyance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is probably due to the Tundra having a longer wheelbase than the 4Runner. The expansion joint spacing on that road must be just right for the Tundra washboard effect.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
I finally found something that I don't like about the Kings. So I drive on the 215 freeway (las vegas) pretty regularly between Gibson and McCarran Airport and there is a stretch that has a bit of a washboard effect. When I'm driving around 70 mph on this stretch it will really make the truck bounce up and down very noticeably. If im trying to talk, it will make my voice oscillate quite a bit. The 4runner with the stage 5 icons did not bounce as much because they were noticeably stiffer.

It seems like on the small and continuous bumps, the king suspension will allow the truck to bounce a bit. I'm assuming the additional length and the lack of weight over the rear wheel makes it worse. It is not the end of the world, but its somewhat of an annoyance.
The same effect occurs in a couple places with expansion joints to me too. I'm running a mix of the Icon Stage 5/6 and get that same effect to the point that i would rather drive on the dirt next to the highway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey man, good write up! I have the same setup as you except I have Deaver k37’s. Is your truck sitting level now or is your rear higher? Did you crank your coils up front? If so, how many threads are you showing? I’m currently showing 9 passenger, 14, drivers. Want to come up a little higher but don’t want to mess up the ride quality. Just looks goofy being high in the rear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man, good write up! I have the same setup as you except I have Deaver k37’s. Is your truck sitting level now or is your rear higher? Did you crank your coils up front? If so, how many threads are you showing? I’m currently showing 9 passenger, 14, drivers. Want to come up a little higher but don’t want to mess up the ride quality. Just looks goofy being high in the rear....

Sorry for the late reply! I have some rake on the truck because I didn't want the fronts cranked all the way to keep it level. The only adjustments were to make sure the L and R side were evenly level. I don't know the exact amount of threads showing, but I can take a look at it a bit later.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry for the late reply! I have some rake on the truck because I didn't want the fronts cranked all the way to keep it level. The only adjustments were to make sure the L and R side were evenly level. I don't know the exact amount of threads showing, but I can take a look at it a bit later.

Right on, thanks for getting back to me! I ended up doing 9 and 14 threads. Still have stink bug stance but rides really well so I’m leaving it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts