Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a key with built in remote (doors / unlock function) on Ebay. My 2017 Tundra has a G stamped on the key and the new key I purchased has a G stamped on it. I went to my local locksmith and he cut and programmed the new key and it does start my truck. However, he was able to program the door lock and unlock feature. After a few unsuccessful ties he looked at the FCC code on the back of my remote that came with truck and it is a different FCC code than what is on the back of the new key. He stated that I have to get a key with the same FCC code as my remote for the door lock and unlock feature to work for a new key.

Does any one know if this is correct in regards to his FCC code statement?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't have both sets in front of me, but the folding all-in-one key I bought off of eBay worked fine. I just looked at it and I don't even see an FCC code on it. Maybe it is inside. can you link to the one you bought? I got THIS one, although interestingly it says it is not compatible with 2017 and the listing lists the FCC in the title, so that may be the difference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm assuming your internals could not transfer to your new key hence the new programming. Hate to say this but you might have to use your old keys if you want to retain that feature. I did the same thing with my Camry but all the internals transfer right over to the new fob without issue. Everything was a direct fit. All I had to do was cut the key. I wanted to do the same with my Tundra but couldn't find anything that was a direct transfer. I really hate having a remote to access the truck and having a separate key to start the engine. Having a 2-in-1 fob is convenient but the cost to obtain that is ridiculous and I couldn't justify paying $200 for 1 set of key that worked perfectly fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
after poking around a bit, I found the FCC code does have to match.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after poking around a bit, I found the FCC code does have to match.
With the FCC number code not matching, were you were still able to use the lock and unlock feature of the key/remote you posted the link of on your Tundra?

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the FCC number code not matching, were you were still able to use the lock and unlock feature of the key/remote you posted the link of on your Tundra?

I have a 2014, so the FCC code does match. all functions work as they should on mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2014, so the FCC code does match. all functions work as they should on mine.
Appreciate the feedback. I will just go to my Toyota dealership on Monday and see what they say in regards to programming the door lock and unlock function.

BTW, did a Toyota dealership program your keys?

·
Registered
72 Posts
no, I had a local locksmith take care of the whole thing. Cutting, chip programming, and ECU programming for about $125. They did not use Techstream, they had some other handheld device. I could have done the ECU programming and saved myself about $40, but I was there, and I am lazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.