Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The ignition switch probably needed replacing at some point...the switches come with new keys. Try the key in the glove box lock if it has one. If it doesn't work there, you have your answer.

The bad news for you is, if the battery goes dead while the truck is locked, you'll be SOL. You won't be able to get in to release the hood in order to change the battery to unlock the doors. You can probably have the door lock cylinder re-keyed to the new key if you remove the lock/lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
791 Posts
Do what I did to my 07. Insert key in door lock and strike the key inward with the palm of your hand (or hard object).

I had to do that twice and it worked like a charm. Yeah, I know the feeling finding the key not working. Don't give up on it yet and just give it a try.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you mean you cannot unlock all the doors with the key or just the driver's door?

the key will not unlock all the doors.only the driver's

I’ve Aleah liked two doors with keys - don’t know why newer cars are like that - specifically toys.

Friend had to get new ignition keys b/c key was stuck. Too cheap to rekey so now he has two sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used graphite on the lock. Took the door panel off to make sure connections were good and still no luck. Also cannot roll down window with key. I am assuming the lock is electronic vs mechanical. Is there a way to fix that anyone knows of?

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I'd bet the key is worn out. That would happen much sooner than a lock cylinder wearing out. Try the spare key (assuming it is relatively unused).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Get angry at it and snack the key in there. That is what I had to do on my 07'. 234k miles later my key is worn out, to the extent that I can pull the key out while it is turned on. It's worth a try.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
668 Posts
My driver door is the only one with a key'd lock. I think it does what yours does. Put the key in, but it won't turn. It does unlock via the FOB (aftermarket in my case). If I put pressure on the key, inward and to the left, it unlocks. Do another turn and it unlocks all doors normally. I also tried my spare key, same thing. Also note it works fine with the ignition and glove box.

I'll try lubing it up like suggested here. Most likely I'll procrastinate and just use the FOB though.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
My 07 is the same way. Same issue with the tailgate lock, it won't turn the lock to unlock it. I've tried all three keys, two of which never get used. I haven't tried the graphite yet though.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Yeah, I gave up on trying to unlock the tailgate. Then again I don't have a cover so there is really no reason for me to lock it.
I got a pop n lock for Christmas 2 years ago but haven't installed it......

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I got a pop n lock for Christmas 2 years ago but haven't installed it......
Take a few hours off TT and install it. :D

Easy install, except you may need better tap connectors, and maybe some sound deadening material for the tailgate. The cheap Chinese knock-off connectors didn't get the job done; contact blade wouldn't penetrate the wires. The connector broke when I tried to close the connector cover to "leverage" the blade in. Lucky I had some old 3Ms laying around. :mad:

Also, don't get tricky like I did: I wanted to minimize the actuation cycles by only connecting the "green" locking wire; it won't work that way. Both green and blue wires must be connected, even if you never push the remote unlock button twice. The "unused" wire must be serving as the ground wire somehow. :eek:

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it fixed! When I replaced the motors in the actuator a few years back I did not fit the “stem” of the lock back into the actuator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
My tailgate locks with no problem. I keep it locked because I'm paranoid that someone will steal my tailgate. I know I know, small chance of that happening.

I Just got a Viper installed, so I doubt I'll be using the door key anytime soon at least. One day I'll have to deal with it, but for now, weeeeee!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.