Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two amateurish questions regarding my ‘21 Pro DC, still with stock 2” lift and 275/65/18 Ridge Graps:

1) If I install topper/rack weighing 200 lbs and on fishing trips might have another 100-200 lbs on topper or in bed, what’s best/simplest way to adjust suspension to maintain level or have slight rake when loaded without compromising stock ride?

2) If I upsize Graps to 285/70/18, I get nearly 2” more tire diameter (32” to 34”). Will that raise the Pro the same amount, or some fraction of the 2”. (I’m thinking I can fill up wheel well better, keep Pro BBS wheels, but avoid any lift kit work as I don’t need 35’s.)

Thanks all.

·
Registered
515 Posts
#1. Adding 400 lbs. to the bed of your truck does not seem like much. However, with just the topper/shell/cap on when pulling out of a parking lot slowly it will cause it to hit the bump stops. Seems ridicules but true. On my truck I have a Snug Top XTR, Victory 4x4 MOLLY racks, Roto Pacs gas and water jugs, tow chains straps and tire chains, shovels, axes, fire extinguisher, so around 500 lbs constantly. I also tow so for that reason I chose to go with air bags and the onboard compressor. That allows me to change the ride as needed. I am picky about how my truck rides and handles even when towing. The on board compressor allows me to change the as needed from inside the cab.

#2. The Nitto Trail Grapplers in 285-70-18 will fit. They have an 11.5 overall width and that will place the tire at it widest point about 1/4 inch from the upper control arm. You will not be able to put tire chains on the front axle as there is not enough clearance to the upper control arm with this size tire. Going up in size to a 34 inch tire from a 32 inch tire will gain you 1 inch of valuable ground clearance. The taller tire (larger circumference) also changes your over all gearing. This results in slightly slower acceleration. Most people do not notice much of a difference and are willing to accept the tradeoff for the look and added clearance. If you choose to change the rear end gear ratios ( a lot of work and expensive, most people never go to this extent unless going with tires taller than 35 inch) changing to 4.56 to 4.88 would get you close to the stock overall gear ratio with stock 32 in tires and a 4.30 gear ratio.
Good luck, fish on.

Reactions: RogueAngler
1 - 2 of 2 Posts