Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Bakflip G2

Votes: 10 55.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn. I love the canopy but some times it is a pain in the a$$. Its really heavy which makes it hard to (do burnouts) remove often but it is nice because it locks and keeps my stuff dry. But the G2 seems pretty snazzy too. I like how quickly you can make the whole bed accessible but is it easily removeable?

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just installed my G2 last Friday, and I am pretty happy with it. I cannot vouch for how water proof it is as I haven't installed my drain tubes yet. It took me literally 15 minutes to install myself using only a 9/16 combo wrench I believe.

At one point I had to get the ol lady to hold back up on the two bolts that holds the top itself in place. All in all a easy install, and it looks pretty spiffy too lol.

I would holler at josh at SVCustoms. His was the cheapest I found online. Ordered Tuesday, waiting on my doorstep Friday.

Edit: I see your already in contact with him lol. Also I haven't tried removing it completely yet, but it's held onto the rails by two bolts. So it shouldn't take that long.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I've said it before, if not on this site, then on another--"If you get a BakFlip, I hope you have a better experience than I did." It leaked, didn't weather well, the drain system was funky, and the latches became loose and rattled in short order. Did I say it leaked? Well, we do live in Washington State. After three years use, it was time for something else. Sorry for the poor review, but that was my experience. I liked my Snug Top a lot better. I now have an Undercover, which is sometimes a pain, but it doesn't leak.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I can't comment on those specific brands, but I have an opinion about camper shells vs. removable tonneaus.

I had an ARE shell for about a year and a half. Loved it. Looked cool, kept everything dry, served a purpose (turned truck into family suv when my wife was in a car).

After my wife got an suv, her vehicle assumed family road trip duties, so I wanted "the truck look" back. Sold the shell and bought a tonnopro trifold. Love it. Keeps shit dry, light weight, on and off in a couple minutes.

In my experience, I won't own another camper shell unless it will serve a specific purpose. I really dig the look, but taking it off in case you need to put something tall in your bed requires 2 men, and a proper place/way to store it.

With the foldable or removeable tonneau stuff, you still get ample storage room, and if you need more, take that sucker off...or if you have a hard/sturdy one, strap shit on top of it.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any input on the retrax or any of the below rail metal roll covers? If that makes sense... I do love the way the truck looks with the canopy but it also looks pretty mean without it. I'm torn... maybe I should just buy new wheels and tires, coilovers and a supercharger and I will finally be happy...

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If I had a black or dark grey truck, undercover all the way.
I have retrax and it was replaced with reduced pricing on my part due to breakage of plastic parts. I don't offroad.
Snug top for quality best looking!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just remember that the Bakflip G2 can be easily accessed with a wire coat hangar. Its a good looking tonneau cover but not the most secure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just installed my undercover flex last Friday and the following morning it was pouring hard and continuous for 4 1/2 hours. When I opened the cover the bed was dry. I wanted to get the LazerLite but it costs too much for me.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts