Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Ok i have a k&n and it just sits in my engine bay all open to the heat of the motor. I want it closed off like the afe or volants or at least covered up as much as possible. I was thinking of taking the rubber trim off and getting some plexi glass and using that to enclose the filter.

Has anybody done this? Any have any input or ideas on how i could do this. SOmething thats not going to break the bank and I could vertually do from home?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did but i want to enclose the whole thing to minimize the high heat as much as possible

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it wouldnt be completely closed off. I would keep that inlet side open where the air flows through. I would be trying to make it look like the afe's or volants. I really just want to minimize the amout of the hot engine air that is being pulled in.

Dont really know how much this helps or if it does, I had some heat shield tape and i wrapped it around the intake tube to try and keep the tube portion as cool as possible. Like i said i dont know if it helps but it certainly doesnt hurt it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i just bought a few things from lowes to try and make this enclosure work. $18.86, its like plexiglass but about half as thick. I didnt think i need the plexiglass as to it was just going to be sitting there and nothing hitting it. I am going to try and start tonight if i get a chance but i dont think this will happed, my wife is in her last class for her masters and im on daddy duty tonight.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
270 Posts
I honestly think the heat shield does a great job of heat shielding lol. Closing off the top really won't give u any gains. It actually is pretty sealed off with it connecting to the hood

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just don't think all that hard work of trying to close it off would pay off. Even if it does work you would probly gain anywhere from 1-2hp at best. The butt dyno will not feel a difference either. You will probly muffle the sound of the awesome K&N intake also. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had the same idea but was thinking about welding a pretty basic box up for it out of sheet metal, and then using rubber hosing to connect the air duct in the wheel well to the opening in the enclosure to completely seal it off from The engine, wanted to do some kind of hinge on the top and use weather stripping to make it air tight that way i can open it up and take out the filter and clean it then drop it back in and lock into place

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeh I got the plexiglass and cut it to fit on top of the plastic strip that is there but there are so many angles to cut and trim I just dont think I will be able to get it done. Im going to try and look around or look online to see if I can get any ideas on how to enclose it up. As for the sound of it I really cant hear it with no cats and some super 40 flow masters lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
The issue I have is that K&N designed that CAI to be open. I am sure they spend a fair amount of money on R&D and that is what they came up with. I would think that enclosing it would be counter productive since it was designed to be open?

By the way, I have the same K&N CAI and I think the design is good and the sound rocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts