Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just finished installing AFE intake...

6K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Zero95teen 
#1 ·
I went with the fully enclosed Pro Dry S model "cold air intake" (yes, I know, but that's not what this thread is about).

I'm pretty dissatisfied with how this intake went together. I had my stock intake out in under 5 minutes but it took well over an hour to get the AFE back in.

First problem was the screws for the base. Why couldn't they have made the areas where the bolts go more accessible (or at least vertical instead of in a slanted well)? I had a heck of a time getting that front bolt started.

Second problem was the brass fitting for the vacuum line or whatever that is. Unbeknownst to me each of those little brass screw holes was full of black debris (I'm guessing leftover plastic from machining). Caused that vacuum fitting to get cross threaded. I did it slow, forward, backward, a little at a time, kept pulling it out because it felt like it was going in too hard but saw no sign of galling, but it ended up totally stuck not quite all the way in. I'm sure it's airtight but man that really cheeses me off. I sealed around it with electrical tape just to be sure.

Third problem was the screws for the MAF sensor and the box lid. They were all in the tube or the box just slightly off so everything goes in crooked. Tried both ways around and did the best I could but man I just feel crappy having paid as much as I did for parts and they don't go together like I feel they should. I never had this many problems with parts while working on my GTO.

I've got the battery sitting disconnected for a bit now so I'll plug it back in shortly and see if it works. Hopefully it doesn't throw any codes but if it does, this damn thing is going back. Was hoping that my exhaust would be here today as well but unfortunately it didn't show. Thanks UPS.

Anyways...Yeah. Fun. *sigh*

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I got the battery hooked back up and checked everything, looked good so the girlfriend and I went for a test ride around town. I did about 12 miles of various speeds and no codes were thrown or MIL lights activated.

I'm pretty shocked with how the sound character of the truck has changed with the addition of just this intake. I dropped my girlfriend off in the back of the Home Depot parking lot and did a quick out and back and she says it sounds much meaner, just like it does inside. There's no whistle (I had no whistle with my previous aFe filter and carbon panel delete) detectable from 0 - 70 MPH with windows up or down - just sounds like the truck could swallow a deer now. Not unlike how the intake on my GTO sounded. I'm excited to see how it will sound with the exhaust in a few days.

I took a video from in the cab with my iPhone and it's linked below. Everyone knows what a stock Tundra sounds like so didn't bother taking a before video.

#6 ·
Yeah, I did. It was a little challenging but I managed to get it on. Basically, I held with my right hand and pushed with my left and just inched around the circumference of the hole.

It doesn't seem like it would be very effective at "sealing" but whatever, it's there.

#8 ·
I had this intake for a while and had all the same problems you did. There is an old theead here where Ramoine cut off the part of the stock intake that actually goes into the fender wall and put it on the afe for a better fitment there. I recommend that. It worked nice for me at the time.

The reason why I DNA have it anymore is because a while back I won a Volant in a raffle over at tundrageeks.com and I installed it and it was way better. Install was a breeze, good looks, and sounds very similar. I liked my afe when I had it and it sounds great. Just thought I would throw my .02 out there on the Ramoine mod. Look it up.

#9 ·
I'll check out that mod, thanks. Reason I went with the aFe over other brands is from all the reading I did I was concerned about putting in a CAI and it not having any benefit due to still pulling air from that same small hole. I like how the AFE has that opening at the front for extra air when it's needed. I know from enough reading and experience that IATs don't really fluctuate all that much once you're actually moving, and heatsoak for composite items is somewhat of a myth. I ran a full open element carbon fiber intake on my supercharged GTO and never had an issue.

#10 ·
sounds good.

#12 ·
Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Hood

Finished my installed. Had the same issue with the fender. I finally just butt it up against the hole as tight as I could get it. With the hole in the fender and the extra hole on the side of the box, I doubt you need a air tight seal against the fender.

Performance, I was impressed. I had duel exhaust install about a year ago and this intake was the missing link on releasing the extra horses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
I put mine on last week before the Memorial Day holiday. Totally agree on the install. And to be honest I don't know if there is a slight change between the years but the AFE box seemed tweaked a little and the screw holes which are a bitch to line up on a good day looked off on the front. I finally got it lined up, the gasket to the fender took forever. Checked it last Saturday after being on for 48 hrs and it had partially come off. Will be figuring out a better animal for that job, some type of silicone sleeve or something? Have two stock air boxes to play with. Amazing what people throw away?!

My question is what the hell is inside that fender? I was trying to line up the gasket and hole from the CAI and I felt something inside the fender. I don't remember there being anything in there on my 07 or 2010. I was in a rush so I did not investigate. Anyone?

#20 ·
Interesting. Well, I know where I got my "install it on the fender bit" from. The instructions are, at best, ambiguous. However, Tundra Solutions did a video of their install and they show it installed in the fender hole.

Toyota Tundra AFe Air Intake Installation - Video

Honestly though, it doesn't matter if it is or is not sealed. It's not a sealed intake. They went for maximum volume, which is why it has the opening at the front. Their research showed that drawing through that fender hole starves the engine at high RPM.

#22 ·
I replied to you in a different thread but no, I have no whistling. I had an aFe dry panel filter in the stock airbox before the full intake and it didn't whistle either (some folks say it does).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.