Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just a tailpipe

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  osupeterson 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2010 ltd 5.7 4x4 and the previous owner got some permanent rust colored stain all over the exhaust and running boards. Can i get just a tailpipe section or is it welded to the muffler? I dont want an exhaust tip haha. If so any ideas on what system? Thanks

#2 ·
Im suprised no one commented yet.

The tailpipe section is a bolt on to the mid section that has the mufflers.

I may be using the wrong terms, but if you get under your truck it will be like this. 2 pipe with cats coming from engine bay. They bolt into a mid section of pipe. That pipe will contain a muffler on each run of pipe, then combine to 1 pipe piece. That section will then bolt to the tailpipe on the cab side of the rear axle.

The tailpipe connects to the truck via 1 hanger and the bolted connection to the rest of the exhaust. It raises up over the axel and back down under and out the side of the rear bumper.

I would bug anyone who talks about getting a new exhaust, or put up a WTB ad on the buy/sell section.

You may also contact your local toyota dealership and see how much the tailpipe would cost.

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry if that was confusing, but just get under your truck sometime soon and take a look. The exhaust is really easy to see and understand once your down there.

If you want to just replace the whole system, BAMuffler is legit. He has multiple setups at all price points. I have his budget system (which requires the use of the stock tailpipe) and it is awesome. It just replaces the mid section of the exhaust that has the mufflers, took me about an hour to remove the old one (lots of time spent using a hand wrench to break the bolts free on the old exhaust) and install the new one.

I have a video of how it sounds on my truck (same as yours, just a 2012) if you want to hear it.

#6 ·

I actually had bought a dumped system from Keith, but got the bolt in instead in the mail. I happy I did. I put the exhaust on without the hemholtz on the tailpipe and drove around for a while and drone on the highway would have been rough. I do a lot of driving 65mph - 80mph on I35, w and w/o a full load of people. The exhaust is plenty load as is without the turndown as well, but to each his own.

#7 ·
The budget system sounds a bit more raspy than I'd prefer.. The Helmholtz get rid of any of that top end rasp going on, or does it just tame a bit of the rumble and eliminate the drone?

For what its worth, I've had Magnaflow on my last three trucks, so thats what I'm used to. Love the sound of their mufflers. I normally just swap stop mufflers and leave the rest of the system in place.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#8 ·
A little bit. You'll still get a little bit at full RPM under WOT. The budget system is basically just a bolt on - muffler delete, so there will be some rasp.

The helmholtz really is tuned to reduce noise at higher speeds. I did tame it a little bit though overall. Ill see If I can take a video today since its nice outside and I wont die with the windows down. Hopefully, the differences will be noticeable from the videos.

#10 ·
Windows up, that thing sounds fantastic. Windows down its a bit more raspy than I prefer, but under your normal driving/acceleration I'm sure its nicely tame.

I'm assuming there is no issue or problem running straight pipes (budget system)? No loss in torque/Hp/mpg, etc?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#11 ·
DirtyDeeds can attest to that since he has done all the testing on them. There are other threads that talk more about it, or you could PM him or call him about it.

Personally, with the exhaust and a drop in K&N filter, I saw a major increase in MPG (even with having a little more lead foot). I haven't felt any torque loss, and I think at certain points in the ranges there are gains in torque.

Most any BAMuffler system results in HP gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.