Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys I searched the forum but couldn't find info, but I do recall reading a thread about this.

It doesn't happen all the time but when I come to a complete stop about 5 seconds after the truck does quick a jerk forward. doesn't happen all the time but its happened enough. is this normal or is there an underlying problem I need to have checked out?

Oh and if there is a thread on this can someone send me the link.

Thanks.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the links and info, and I also see there is a TSB on this. I guess I have this issue with my truck. I'm gonna try to see if Toyota will fix this for me but, I doubt it since I just passed 60k miles and I am not a CPO. Oh well all I can do is try with Toyota first

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
didn't see this talked about in the other threads, but should I be worried about doing an upcoming road trip at the months end from CA to TX and beyond? I'm not towing anything and won't be carrying anything but luggage. I'm just saying in case dealer doesn't offer a solution/fix when i take to them next week. Oh an my miles are 61700. I was thinking of the Lexus just turning 60k

Thanks

· Registered
2,506 Posts
I had the same problem in my truck thought i was the only one till talking to a friend who owned a 2010 with the same problem. When I took my truck in for gears and Auburn Pro install and have my trans service the problem went away. Not sure if that was the rear diff or the trans but one of them fixed that issue.

· Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I have this problem occasionally on my 07. At 30,000 miles Toyota replaced my driveshaft. The bump still happens from time to time, but I've got 117,000 miles, towing a large enclosed trailer daily, and no issues. I have a lifetime warranty on my drivetrain, so if it fails, I'll have it replaced.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jumbo Jet. Sounds like even though this is an annoying problem and based on what i've read it doesn't seem to be posing a major threat or problem such as the drive shaft falling off. Again appreciate the feedback

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
guys I searched the forum but couldn't find info, but I do recall reading a thread about this.

It doesn't happen all the time but when I come to a complete stop about 5 seconds after the truck does quick a jerk forward. doesn't happen all the time but its happened enough. is this normal or is there an underlying problem I need to have checked out?

Oh and if there is a thread on this can someone send me the link.

Thanks.
Sorry not driveshaft related. Had same issue which is called SUA (sudden unintended acceleration). I could do that at anytime I wanted. It's in the tranny. When you did a hard stop hold your foot on the brake and wait 2 seconds and the engine would take off and then let go. I also got a code off the computer which stated that my tranny was a failure. It also wouldn't shift out of 4th gear till I reset the computer. I ended up rebuilding tranny and torque convertor. I was at 96k miles. Since then I can't reproduce the SUA.

· Registered
2,506 Posts
I think you should try the trans maintenance first to see if that will help. It definitely help get rid of that problem on my truck.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll see what the dealer tells me next Friday. Not sure I want them to do anything before I take my road trip but I'm bummed because I'll probably be thinking about this damn issue on my road trip to Houston.

· Registered
3 Posts
Glad I saw this thread... I had been having the same issues with my 07 2WD. I also noticed that when I put it into drive it would do the same jerk forward. I went to the dealership today and they're replacing the driveshaft under warranty. Only 35k on my truck.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i took my trunk in to the dealer yesterday for some service and mentioned the TSB for this for the 2wd trucks. The service adviser looked into it with his manager and the director of service, and they received the approval from Toyota to replace my drive shaft and other parts but asked that I cover a portion of the labor since I am out of warranty on the miles, I am 62k miles, but I am the 5 year portion of the warranty, so they are honoring the TSB but asking for a little $ from me. They estimate labor to be an hour and half to two hours. So I agreed to cover about $150 of labor cost, and hoping to have it done next week before I head on a road trip to TX.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
JCv2.0 I am still a newbie especially when it comes to mechanics or repairs such as this so I appreciate the input from you and other members who seem to have good info about these issues.

So are you saying that you'd live with the bump because you don't think the fix isn't needed and I'd be fine leaving it as-is? I got to admit I too have been questioning whether or not I need to get this done since I've only felt the bump/jerk about 4 times in five months. I've seen that most other members are getting it done under warranty and some have noticed a difference whereas others have not, so I also question if its worth it.

I'm also looking at it from the point that if toyota is willing to cover the cost of the new parts, about $1400 and I'd be paying $150 to install, its best to get it done now instead of possibly facing a bigger issue down the line and paying more out of pocket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.