Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm struggling with how to properly address this post. Let me apologize right off the bat if my frustration shows through.

Now mind you in comparison to my old system in my F-250, this system does not come close. I Love the truck, runs great, rides great, looks good. Can't wait to put some appearance upgrades to it. Oh sorry, it's a 2019 1794 edition Tundra, something "Bronze" nice painted matching rear bumper with too much chrome. But...I choose it anyway.

When I test drove it I guess I did not play with the stereo enough and completely test the functionality of the system. The head unit works great, no freezes or system re-boots like some of the problems I've seen posted here. My concern is sound quality, or lack thereof. I dropped my truck off to get the bed liner sprayed in, they gave me a Corolla or something to drive while I waited. It had the same system minus 2 speakers, it jammed sounded great and literally would blast you out of the car.

I scheduled my first oil change and told them I thought something was wrong with the stereo, when balanced properly it sounds pretty good up front but if you sit in the back you cane barely hear it. Adjust the equalizer and there is no noticible change in the sound quality either. I showed to the service writer upon entry and purposely left the BASS turned all the way down. When I got my truck back there were notes to the effect "Stereo funcitioning properly, owner had bass turned all the way down". I looked at the service writer and said Really? I got a phone call saying they would send me a survey and would apprciate my input, and that if I could not give them 10's across the board to please contact the service manager and tell them why. Why would I call them if I could not give them 10's? One would think they should call you and ask you why. LOL.

Needless to say I never received a survey, nor any other phone call inquiring as to why I had made no contact with them. Wow... Oh yeah and the sound quality has gotten no better. I guess I have a new truck with a lousy sound system; advertised to be something that it is not, that now I have to spend money to upgrade.

Sound familiar?

Dealer: Estabrook Toyota, Moss Point MS

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm struggling with how to properly address this post. Let me apologize right off the bat if my frustration shows through.

Now mind you in comparison to my old system in my F-250, this system does not come close. I Love the truck, runs great, rides great, looks good. Can't wait to put some appearance upgrades to it. Oh sorry, it's a 2019 1794 edition Tundra, something "Bronze" nice painted matching rear bumper with too much chrome. But...I choose it anyway.

When I test drove it I guess I did not play with the stereo enough and completely test the functionality of the system. The head unit works great, no freezes or system re-boots like some of the problems I've seen posted here. My concern is sound quality, or lack thereof. I dropped my truck off to get the bed liner sprayed in, they gave me a Corolla or something to drive while I waited. It had the same system minus 2 speakers, it jammed sounded great and literally would blast you out of the car.

I scheduled my first oil change and told them I thought something was wrong with the stereo, when balanced properly it sounds pretty good up front but if you sit in the back you cane barely hear it. Adjust the equalizer and there is no noticible change in the sound quality either. I showed to the service writer upon entry and purposely left the BASS turned all the way down. When I got my truck back there were notes to the effect "Stereo funcitioning properly, owner had bass turned all the way down". I looked at the service writer and said Really? I got a phone call saying they would send me a survey and would apprciate my input, and that if I could not give them 10's across the board to please contact the service manager and tell them why. Why would I call them if I could not give them 10's? One would think they should call you and ask you why. LOL.

Needless to say I never received a survey, nor any other phone call inquiring as to why I had made no contact with them. Wow... Oh yeah and the sound quality has gotten no better. I guess I have a new truck with a lousy sound system; advertised to be something that it is not, that now I have to spend money to upgrade.

Sound familiar?

Hi Everyone,

Sound familiar?

I agree with you that the stereo system is not up to par. I don't think its total crap, but its definitely not high end. That said, what do you expect the dealer to do? If the components are functioning as "designed", sub par as it may be, then I'm not sure what else you can expect? Should they replace the speakers with equally as bad speakers?
I see people complaining about the premium system they paid for, which i think was $750, then going out and spending 3k on upgrades in order to get the sound they want. Would they have been ok with paying 3k for the premium factory system ? I am by no means a dealer fan on most occasions...I think they often do as little as possible, but here I'm not sure what the answer is.

This really goes back to Toyota HQ. I'd like more volume, and more bass for sure and i haven't compared it to the non JBL system to see if the $750 actually gave some benefit.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
I get surveys from Yota, and I always bitch about the so called "Premium" audio, and how bad it sucks.

It is clear, but does not get loud enough to drive with all 4 windows and the sunroof open and hear a gdamned thing. Might as well wear headphones.

With that said, I do now have over $3k in audio upgrades in my hooptie beater car... Literally, it's a $1000 car with $3k of audio... But I knew the stock system sucked, and it had a blown speaker going in, also it didn't sticker at over $50k...

I only wish the JBL system was as easy to upgrade as my Cobalt was. I mean, if they're going to make a shitty sounding system, at least make it easy to upgrade. The sr5's are easier to upgrade at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you that the stereo system is not up to par. I don't think its total crap, but its definitely not high end. That said, what do you expect the dealer to do? If the components are functioning as "designed", sub par as it may be, then I'm not sure what else you can expect? Should they replace the speakers with equally as bad speakers?
I see people complaining about the premium system they paid for, which i think was $750, then going out and spending 3k on upgrades in order to get the sound they want. Would they have been ok with paying 3k for the premium factory system ? I am by no means a dealer fan on most occasions...I think they often do as little as possible, but here I'm not sure what the answer is.

This really goes back to Toyota HQ. I'd like more volume, and more bass for sure and i haven't compared it to the non JBL system to see if the $750 actually gave some benefit.

Just food for thought.
All very good points, thank you for your comments. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes and I should have delved deeper into the stereo config before making my final procurement decision.

Won't have to spend 3K in upgrades either. My point to the dealer issue was the Bass controls, it really led me to believe that all they did was turn in on, listen and check the HU settings. I was hoping for a more through exam, to determine that it was functioning as designed and all connections were good.

Have a good day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get surveys from Yota, and I always bitch about the so called "Premium" audio, and how bad it sucks.

It is clear, but does not get loud enough to drive with all 4 windows and the sunroof open and hear a gdamned thing. Might as well wear headphones.

With that said, I do now have over $3k in audio upgrades in my hooptie beater car... Literally, it's a $1000 car with $3k of audio... But I knew the stock system sucked, and it had a blown speaker going in, also it didn't sticker at over $50k...

I only wish the JBL system was as easy to upgrade as my Cobalt was. I mean, if they're going to make a shitty sounding system, at least make it easy to upgrade. The sr5's are easier to upgrade at least.
I only wish I would get a survey, like I said they haven't sent one. My entire pint to this line of thought was I knew I had a pig just wanted t know it's health. From what I could tell they really didn't look at it. The front end sounds pretty decent they rear no matter how much you play with the fade and equalizer sounds flat an lifeless. So my train of thought going into it was that when it was installed at the factory, they either didn't tune the amp correctly or left something disconnected.

Either way I'm done with it and will move on too some sort of an upgrade keeping the HU intact. Still researching and have found a few possibilities that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I once had a 63 Bel air, put a Pioneer stock system in it and then took the back seat out and put an old pair of Sansui 300 watt house speakers in. Sounded great, and was good for beach parties.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
I only wish I would get a survey, like I said they haven't sent one. My entire pint to this line of thought was I knew I had a pig just wanted t know it's health. From what I could tell they really didn't look at it. The front end sounds pretty decent they rear no matter how much you play with the fade and equalizer sounds flat an lifeless. So my train of thought going into it was that when it was installed at the factory, they either didn't tune the amp correctly or left something disconnected.

Either way I'm done with it and will move on too some sort of an upgrade keeping the HU intact. Still researching and have found a few possibilities that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I once had a 63 Bel air, put a Pioneer stock system in it and then took the back seat out and put an old pair of Sansui 300 watt house speakers in. Sounded great, and was good for beach parties.

Have a great day!

The HU is my issue with my truck too. I don't want to swap it. I don't care that other HU's are great. Every time I have swapped a HU, it gains a little bit of quirkiness. My last Tundra I swapped everything, went with a Clarion NX605, not a cheap HU by most standards. Got a module to retain steering wheel controls and ipod function etc... It would just get quirky sometimes. I like the stock HU function. I like the in dash turn by turn nav, the fact that the bluetooth works correctly and clearly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts