Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, under the passenger seat. I have a JBL Tundra amp I'm trying to install but it is not clear how the amp mounts. Does it mount to the seat or floor? Do the connectors face forward or backwards. A photo of an installed amp would be great if anyone has one. I have attached a photo of my amp to this thread (at least I think I did.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked under the seat for the flap. No flap found (see photo.) I wonder if I need to cut out a flap? Thanks for helping me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So did you get the wires harnesses, head unit, and speakers? That's is a lot of work to add something with about the same power as an aftermarket head unit. Not nearly as easy as adding an aftermarket amp. But if you want a little better sound and must have stock stuff then that's cool.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am adding a stock JBL audio system to my non-JBL truck. I have read many threads that say that the stock system is poor but I would still prefer to keep the system stock. So far I have obtained the amp and radio head unit. I was hoping that the wiring harness would be in the truck but I don't think it is. Any ideas for sourcing the harness or speakers is appreciated.

Does anyone know the route that the harness takes between the head unit and the amp? How about the wiring for the speakers? Does that change to or just the speakers themselves?

My plan is once I have the JBL radio working I'll change the radio head unit to the nav head unit.

I have owned my Tundra for 5 years now and love it.

Thanks to all who are helping me with this.

Harvey

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep in mind that the end game is to have the factory nav unit. It is my understanding that the JBL amp and the rest is a requirement to get there. I'm willing to do the work.
Thanks,
Harvey

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Honestly it might not be worth all the effort...
If the truck didn't have an amp like the jbl then the speakers are all running off the hu. I don't see the value of going thru all the hassle of rewiring it for the stock amp.

Good point on the speaker wires. With the JBL system, the speaker wires terminate at the amp under the seat, and without at the HU. Seems like this would be a major project. To get the needed harnesses, you will probably have to get them from Toyota, doubt anyone is going to remove them when upgrading their system.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
From reading all the posts about how hard this is I'm guessing no one has actually done it before. I'm determined to continue. I'll keep a record of all the part numbers and installation details and post them when I'm finished. Perhaps some else will want to do this.

In the mean time if anyone has any of the harnesses that I need, speakers or GPS antenna I'm interested. Also, if anyone knows the routes that the JBL harnesses take please let me know.

I'm interested in that photo of the JBL amp mounted under the seat.

Thanks all,
Harvey

:) 2007 SR5 REG CAB

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
I snapped a photo but it was too blurry the amp sits with the connectors facing the center console. There is another group of connectors above it that also tie into it.

Good luck, but imho I dont foresee you compleating this, it seems like a foolish waste of effort. But if you are gungho then more power to ya.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
If navigation is your end goal, there are awesome double din HU with navigation as well that would put ou lt comparable if not better power to the speakers as well.

I admire your fortitude, and I hope you can accomplish what you want. But, I also hope you can see a futile effort when one presents it self. If you have to source those wire harnesses from Toyota, thye ain't gonna be cheap!

Keep us posted!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
From reading all the posts about how hard this is I'm guessing no one has actually done it before. I'm determined to continue. I'll keep a record of all the part numbers and installation details and post them when I'm finished. Perhaps some else will want to do this.

In the mean time if anyone has any of the harnesses that I need, speakers or GPS antenna I'm interested. Also, if anyone knows the routes that the JBL harnesses take please let me know.

I'm interested in that photo of the JBL amp mounted under the seat.

Thanks all,
Harvey

:) 2007 SR5 REG CAB
It is not just one harness, there are going to be completely different harnesses at the head unit, you will also have to require all of your speakers and add quite a bit of wiring, its not just a simple harness from deck to amp, it can definitely be done (anything can be done) but it will not be fast nor easy. Ill put it this way. I have been a professional car electronics installer for 22 years and it would be a 12-18 hour project for me. It is also going to cost substantially more than a compete aftermarket sound system, but if you are comfortable with all of that them more power to you. I am by no means trying to Piss in your Cheerios just want you to know going in that its not going to be a simple plug and play sound system install, you should be able to source most of the parts used but the wire harnesses aren't going to be easy to find. They don't run alone in the trucks, there are many other wires in the same harnesses so people don't pull the wiring when replacing the jbl system.. You'll probably have to get those from the dealership or junk yard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts