Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New here and have seen a few tricks to my question but have yet to resolve.
So here is the thing. I have a 2016 Tundra Pro with just under 40K on her I engage 4WD both hi and low a few times a season do the scheduled servicing etc. Today we got a dump of snow and our street has yet to be plowed so figured I would try 4low. All I get is errors stays in 4hi and beeping the error beep. Done the back and forth as well as anything I could find. Any ideas? or has anyone else had this happen? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi everyone. New here and have seen a few tricks to my question but have yet to resolve.
So here is the thing. I have a 2016 Tundra Pro with just under 40K on her I engage 4WD both hi and low a few times a season do the scheduled servicing etc. Today we got a dump of snow and our street has yet to be plowed so figured I would try 4low. All I get is errors stays in 4hi and beeping the error beep. Done the back and forth as well as anything I could find. Any ideas? or has anyone else had this happen? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Are you engaging it in neutral? You can’t be in any gear and engage it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run 40-100 km in 4wd high a month and 20-40 km in low. I had issues with my 2016 getting into low, it was as I did not use it a lot. So on the 19 I 4x4 once or more a month. On the 16 I did have the same issue, put it in Neutral, turned off the engine turned the key to on (not run) and shifted to 4L it engaged. I am not sure if that will help you. But as the prior poster stated must be at a dead stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tired it today and no problem it engaged easily. Didn't do anything different so I guess I will have them check it out when I take it for its 40K service soon. Thanks for the replies I appreciate them!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sometimes it helps for the truck to slowly move to get it to go into 4lo. I usually try to find somewhere with a slight grade to it so the truck will roll a little in neutral. I then shift to neutral, shift to 4lo, and see if shifts in like it should. If not, I just remove enough braking to get it to roll slightly. It usually will drop in with the movement. Caution: We are talking about very slow and very little movement in neutral. If it does not go in, start over and try again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tired it today and no problem it engaged easily. Didn't do anything different so I guess I will have them check it out when I take it for its 40K service soon. Thanks for the replies I appreciate them!!
According to the 2020 Tundra owner's manual "engage the 4x4 at least once a month to keep lubrication" quote as I recall it - not exact. In my 07 Tundra I only engaged 4x4 a few times a year. Didn't have any problems with it. I hope your problem is just temporary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts