Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Issues after fuel pump recall

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Loucuad 
#1 · (Edited)
My wifes 2019 tundra was up for recall so last month we took it in. Never had an issue with it. Ever since it has hesitated a few times jumping on the freeway and would have an odd miss like feeling. Welp, today it will start for afew seconds and sound like a model t popping and shuddering. Now it wont start at all. So i unplugged the positive from the battery and will be calling toyota tuesday. I should have never let them touch it.

Eta, found the issue. Even tho it showed a little over a 1/4 tank it was out of gas. I took a chance it maybe the issue and since i have several gas cans filled because we were suppose to have a hurricane i used one. After 5 gals the needle still shows the same spot. Guess the float is stuck now.

#4 ·
One thing, running a fuel injected vehicle out of gas can damage the fuel pump. It is lubricated by the gas, and when there is no gas, it can get damaged.

If you have not had it fixed yet, you might tell the service manager that you want them to install a new fuel pump (at their cost) since they screwed up the job in the first place (they no doubt did not put the fuel sending unit back in correctly). If they refuse to put a new pump in, then ask for an extended warranty on the pump because it is most likely going to fail prematurely.

#5 ·
I don't know if a new sender unit for the fuel gauge is included with the new fuel pump you get with the recall, or if they reuse the old one. If it is new it is possible that it is bad, but more likely they reuse the old one and the tech did something wrong when reinstalling it. Either way Toyota should fix it without giving you any trouble. Make sure you don't get the same technician this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.