Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Tundra SR5(all stock) with 108k miles.
I had worn 275/65/18 BF Goodrich P Tires and I was looking for a better ride.
I decided on the Michelin Defender M/S and had my regional tire chain do the work.
Replaced all 4 tires along with a 4-wheel alignment.

Truck drives a lot smoother with the Defenders but now I have a new issue.
I am feeling movement in the wheel over bumps-didn't have this before the tire change.
I can feel this at highway speed and at slow speed like idling thru an alley with lots of potholes.
It feels like metal-on-metal and it transfers right thru to the steering wheel.

I took the Truck back to the Tire Store, they put it up on the rack and they double checked everything.
Ball Joints are good, stabilizer/sway bars are good. They rebalanced the Front Tires and told me to call
them back if there is still an issue.

I can still feel it. This is my first time on Michelins. Do I chalk this up to these tires being a softer rubber?
This is my 3rd Tundra over 15 years. I've done a few rounds of tire changes but never had to go back to the tire store.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the problem started with the new tires, its the tires. Most tire stores will let you return tires for x amount of time or miles. Read the fine print. I would give them another chance to find the problem, they wont want to eat a set of tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have down the issue.
I have the truck running and in Park. Turn the wheel rapidly back and forth several times and get the same clunking sound.

Seems like it is coming from the Driver's Side Front Tire. Something is loose, same as going over bumps.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Without actually hearing the noise first hand it is difficult to guess what it might be. Since they did an alignment, that should rule out the wear components of the front end. Something to look at would be the brake backing plate or wear on the rotors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I jacked up the front end with stands under the lower control arms.

The Noise is coming from the steering linkage.
If I grab the tie rod and move it up and down I can get that clunking sound.
With the steering unlocked and I move the tire left and right I can get that clunking sound.
Movement seems to be coming where the tie rod end meets the lock nut.

Shouldn't the TieRod End be tight against the lock nut? Passenger Side isn't loose like this...

See this video where the TieRod End spins. This is what I am hearing and feeling.

20211117_183738.mp4

·
Registered
278 Posts
Usually, there are two nuts, one on each end of the tie rod adjustment rod. Yes, they should both be tight. But, if the other nut is tight, and they did adjust the toe correctly, then the adjustment rod cannot turn, so you should be able to just tighten this nut and be good to go. But they should not have left that loose and as Markclaims says above, you certainly have every right to make them put it back on the machine and make sure everything is back to spec and tighten that nut up.

You're not going to cause any problems by tightening that nut and it sure makes sense that that loose nut is the cause of the metal to metal clunk feeling you have been getting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts