Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've adjusted the slack in mine under the driver's side door but the parking brake still barely holds on any sort of incline. Do the parking brakes just suck on these trucks or should I check the rear brakes?

It really worries me when I'm on a boat ramp and set the brake only to have truck and boat resting on the transmission in park...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Mine works very well... Gen1.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Exactly how I feel at the boat ramp when I set it as hard as I can and like you said, it still rolls back on the trans. Maybe I need to tighten mine also.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is an 08 DC SR5 and works great. I use it every time I park to keep it from seizing up. It holds, even when I tap on the gas while in gear.

Check your adjustment and parking brake shoes.

Sent from my HTC DNA

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Never had issues on a boat ramp utilizing the parking break. Then the wife jumps in and I drive the boat up the trailer lock it in and tell her release the brake and go. Go she does. Dang woman has a heavy foot.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Mine is an 08 DC SR5 and works great. I use it every time I park to keep it from seizing up. It holds, even when I tap on the gas while in gear.

Check your adjustment and parking brake shoes.

Sent from my HTC DNA
Now I know I need to adjust mine, I've started driving up the boat ramp and not realized it was on until the truck started beeping at me.

Reactions: JEMGN

·
Registered
389 Posts
If I set mine then put it in park it will roll enough to make the tranny give a thunk when it comes back out of park BUT it will hold the boat on the ramp in neutral so yes it rolls a bit but yes it holds very well

·
Registered
5 Posts
What year is it? My '05 Tundra parking brakes were a real problem until I was shown the external pivots on the rear brakes. External pivots! What a stupid idea! Once I started spraying them with WD 40 once a month I have not had the problem since. Just a horrible design for the rear brakes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Adjusting? External pivots?

:nopics:

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Mine will hold the truck, even with the truck in drive. But when I set it, it's almost to the floor. I need to adjust it sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
You need to adjust it at the wheel not on the slack adjuster under the cab
Can you pls write up an procedure, with photos if possible? The slack adjuster was easy, what's the adjustment at the wheel all about? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I set mine in netrual and let it grab then I put it in park. Holds the truck and my tt on my steep driveway. Funny never had to do this with any other truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
My G1s didn't work well until I adjusted them. The G2 doesn't work well either. I had the dealer adjust it during a service visit but I don't think they did anything. I'll do it myself when I can actually remember to do so.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts