Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
No, its tucked up behind the passenger exhaust manifold that has to come off to replace the starter. If you look behind the manifold you wont see it because it hides behind a cover. In the end not much easier than the 4.7 The 5.7 is terrible to get to, same location but more stuff in the way

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a relief..i guess:confused:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the 4.7 has the starter under the intake manifold. the 4.6/5.7 has the starter behind the right side exhaust manifold. i had to to replace my 5.7 last year, it's a PITA but it can be done by the average home wrench turner. actually i'd rather remove the intake than the exhaust.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
So no more tapping the starter to get it to turn over when it starts going out. Great...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
So no more tapping the starter to get it to turn over when it starts going out. Great...
If you have a 4.7, you're pretty much screwed in that regard, no tapping or jumping the solenoid terminals to get yourself home.. On the good news front though the 4.7 solenoid can be rebuilt easily for about $30 or so in parts so the overall cost is much less. The 4.6/5.7 requires the entire solenoid to be replaced, they are about $100 or so, and appear to be of a less robust design than the 4.7. I just replaced the entire starter, it was about $300 new from parts geek. I have a DIY write up on the starter replacement and one on a device I made to jump the solenoid to get me home. If you get the dreaded click/no start from your solenoid/starter don't delay in fixing it. Mine did it exactly one time then worked OK for another 3 months before it said no more and never worked again.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/maintenance-repair/106730-diy-starter-saver-5-7-a.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts