Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just happened to be getting in my truck and something had caught my eye. It looked as though the bed and cab gaps were off.

I just recently added a cap to the truck, not sure if that matters, but maybe it made the already existing gap more apparent.

The truck has never been in an accident or repaired. I got underneath and all the bed mount look intact, nothing looks out of sorts. The bumper/bed gaps are measured the same on both the left and right.

My only thought is that maybe the cab shifted? Couldnt be.. I measured from the front of the rear tires to the wells and different measurements.

Could also be that I am just noticing this now, after the cap addition versus a tonneau not nessicarily drawing the attention of the eye to the bed.
Below are some photos. Ive searched and it looks like it may just be a factory thing.

passenger side bottom

passenger side top

passenger side tire

driver side bottom

driver side top

driver side tire

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the average distance is approximately 1/3"

Im on vacation in two weeks... going to see if I can squeeze in a dealership visit if you guys think its warranted.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I think they generally worry more about the sides being parallel with the cab than the front to back dimensions. You can move it around some by loosening the bed bolts.
When you start measuring stuff remember that the Tundra rear axles are slightly off center to the right. Nobody knows why, they just are.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its definitely the bed that is slightly off. ive encountered the offset axle in 4 toyotas now, so im used it.

i guess you are right though at least parallel its all good.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Yea beibs, I dont think that is anything to worry about. So long as it drives straight down the road.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she does

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
If you had someone install the cap for you call them and ask if they loosened the bed. You could loosen it up and shift it slightly.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i installed it. the bed was never adjusted. if adjusting the bed is the fix, im not about to take the cap off, remove the bed rail system and bedliner for this.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
i installed it. the bed was never adjusted. if adjusting the bed is the fix, im not about to take the cap off, remove the bed rail system and bedliner for this.
I hear you! That's way too much work! I'm going to have to resist the urge to check mine! :eek:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think they generally worry more about the sides being parallel with the cab than the front to back dimensions. You can move it around some by loosening the bed bolts.
When you start measuring stuff remember that the Tundra rear axles are slightly off center to the right. Nobody knows why, they just are.
I thought I read somewhere here that the axle is offset to compensate for the torque of the drive train when under serious load.

I'd have to double check something to that effect sounds familiar.

Here's something...lol
Originally Posted by jakec2789 View Post
most full size trucks do that. the right rear wheel is the drive wheel.. the LSD isnt always doing work so they have some "walk" to that side. It has a tolerance from the factory I don't recall what it is but its off centered to prevent a driveline shimmy while under moderate to heavy acceleration. I don't know how it prevents it but it does.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I thought I read somewhere here that the axle is offset to compensate for the torque of the drive train when under serious load.

I'd have to double check something to that effect sounds familiar.
Thats only because they want the truck to look normal only when your stepping on it.
:lol5:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea this is definitely the bed not the axle.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Quite a few guys have mentioned their bed being off, just adjust it as mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts