Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this little gash on my tire. Do I need to be concerned. Tire is stock BFG on 2011 rock warrior. Rear passenger side. Approx 25k miles

Attachments

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another angle

Attachments

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not a tire tech, but I see people driving all the time with the whole sidewall showing the white like that from them parking next to curbs daily.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I don't know if that's BFG thing, but I have similar missing chunk of rubber on one of my stock tires (BFG Rugged Trail). Both my tires shop and my mechanic told me that's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's not a big deal. Just make sure to watch your tire pressure. If it starts to get low, you know it's leaking and you'll need to replace it. If not, you're fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input and advice fellas....

I was hoping to get a consensus either way, but I got some "No worries" to "Hell No".

For now, I'm going to just keep an eye on it. I have been putting a lot of $$ into my new baby but I don't want to jeopardize my families safety.

Out of curiousity, what kind of mileage are people getting out of this tire. I'm really trying to justify getting new rubber all the way around, cuz then I'm talking even more money.

Kind of off topic, but what would be the biggest size you guys would suggest with my rig keeping the rock warrior wheels. I have a 3inch front level and don't want to be doing a bunch of trimming/mod. I can handle removing mudflaps.

Or should I just ditch and get a set of 18s with some nittos:lol5:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Keep an eye on it, but that doesn't look terrible. I've had a brand new Michelin tire on my old Armada that had a 4-inch cut in it (no clue how it got there). Didn't discover it until I've had the tires for months. Cut was diagonal, but was deep and near the tread/sidewall corner (IMO). Discount Tire people always asked if I wanted to replace it (for a price), but I refused. Long story short, that tire held up for nearly 40k miles (I traded that vehicle for my CM).

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Thats nothing to worry about at all - If you want to see some sidewalls I will take a picture of mine. LOL I have some rock rash that might scare some of you. Plus I take mine on the HWY up to 85mph in temps above 100 without any issues. Even towed my boat to the lake over 100 miles away this weekend.
No problems - maybe I should take them back to Discount and get a replacement - since I bought the warranty and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts