Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had nothing but terrible experiences with the Toyota dealer in Waco, TX. The more I read this forum I am starting to believe there is not an honest Toyota service department in the country. I read thread after thread of Toyota dealers wanting to charge thousands of dollars for simple fixes and incorrect diagnostic tests. My worst experience to date was when I drove over some wood in a field and broke my fuel line. Toyota of Waco charged me $5000 for a new fuel line and they had my truck for 46 days. I have owned Dodge and Chevy trucks and never felt like they were raping me like Toyota does. I should have known something was wrong when my insurance company told me that the Toyota dealer was the only car dealer in Waco that was NOT on their list of preferred providers.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my current Tundra or the last one. When I bought the first one in 2011, I found a good service center at one of the dealerships. Mind you, I only had general maint done. They have since rotated into an entirely new staff and now are a terribly incompetent and unprofessional group. But I blame the dealership more than Toyota.
The culture has changed and I would expect to find fewer and few competent and honest service centers as time goes on, regardless of brand.
It's because all the currently 25 yr old kids went to school for interpretive lesbian dance or some type of computer engineering. No interest in trades or hard work the last generation or 2.
Even the "technicians" at these service centers seem like 20 yr old kids with no more than a vocational highschool degree in obd readers.
The culture has changed. These kids can't even change tires and do an alignment. And even if/when the dealerships want to pay for experienced mechanics, 90% of them are forced to be dishonest. The Chevy dealer recently wanted $9500 to replace my stepson's engine in his 2012 Malibu. With a refurbished engine. It only had 60k mi on it and he bought it from them. We found a local Mechanic through a friend and he did the same job for $2100.
I do all the minor stuff myself. If I ever need anything major, I will take it to a reputable individual mechanic.

·
Retired
10,869 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my current Tundra or the last one. When I bought the first one in 2011, I found a good service center at one of the dealerships. Mind you, I only had general maint done. They have since rotated into an entirely new staff and now are a terribly incompetent and unprofessional group. But I blame the dealership more than Toyota.
The culture has changed and I would expect to find fewer and few competent and honest service centers as time goes on, regardless of brand.
It's because all the currently 25 yr old kids went to school for interpretive lesbian dance or some type of computer engineering. No interest in trades or hard work the last generation or 2.
Even the "technicians" at these service centers seem like 20 yr old kids with no more than a vocational highschool degree in obd readers.
The culture has changed. These kids can't even change tires and do an alignment. And even if/when the dealerships want to pay for experienced mechanics, 90% of them are forced to be dishonest. The Chevy dealer recently wanted $9500 to replace my stepson's engine in his 2012 Malibu. With a refurbished engine. It only had 60k mi on it and he bought it from them. We found a local Mechanic through a friend and he did the same job for $2100.
I do all the minor stuff myself. If I ever need anything major, I will take it to a reputable individual mechanic.
It is the dealer, not the manufacturer. I had a DEF issue with my Ram 2500 CTD, took it to the dealer 4 times and they just kept throwing parts at it and I would get 20-30 miles down the road and the DEF light would come back on. I opened a case with Fiat and they ended up sending one of their techs to the dealer. Dude spent probably 2 hours with the truck, diagnosed the issue correctly and I have not had any more issues. Dealers in general are lazy and only do EXACTLY what the computer tells them to do. The manufacturers do seem to GAF though. I think a lot of it is the fact that supposedly dealers don't make much off of warranty work too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I actually really like the service dept at my dealer. I recently had an issue but it was not them, it was the warranty company. The service manager has been there a long time and is super good to deal with.

That being said, I do most of my simple repairs and maintenance other than my free for life oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve not had a lot of work done at any dealer, I’ve always been fairly handy.
Toyota of Richardson (Dallas) treated me very well, when I had trouble while visiting Dallas area. They offered to use aftermarket parts because the Toyota part was so high. My sister and brother-in-law have had some pretty serious repairs done in their shop and have come away happy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have only taken my 2016 Tundra in for the initial included maintenance. The service department seemed really friendly and professional.
But then I got a call and email after my last service insisting I bring it back in for a nitrogen exchange and tire rotation. I think they quoted me around $200.
Getting anything other than an oil change for $200 might seem like a deal. But I could not understand, nore could they explain why I really needed this service. It wasn't listed in my owner's manual. My original tires had never lost any pressure, so I am guessing, I am not a scientist, that they didn't lose any or very much nitrogen. Besides, those were sitting in my garage because about 750 miles before my last service I got new aftermarket wheels & tires with nitrogen.
So up until then I might have recommended them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 4 Toyota dealers in my area and only one of them do I trust with my trucks. And that applies to Ram and Chevy and Ford dealers as well. My diesel truck has had to visit 5 dealers to find a mechanic that was competent and could fix the problem.

The fleet operators are eager to convert to all electric trucks as they too find it extremely difficult to find and hire qualified and competent technicians.

One has always needed to educate oneself and be willing to question mechanics (and other "experts"). Too many guys will replace a part and if that does not fix the problem they will continue to replace parts until the problem is fixed or the customer runs out of money or patience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use one dealer for customizations and another (closer) for maintenance. Recently bought the ICS Fab dash mount and had the local dealer install it while I was getting brakes and an oil change. First go-around, they installed it wrong and had to redo it. Second time, they left one of the 4 bolts out. I didn’t notice (because of the angle) until a friend in the passenger seat said something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently took my Camry Hybrid to a dealer I hadn't used before. The previous dealer looked after me more or less competently and honestly for almost 8 years. But I moved, so off to a new dealer I go. I told the guy that wrote up the work order that the O2 sensor has been bad for about 3 years and I don't want to buy another one. It eats them and at $400 a pop, I'll just take slightly worse mileage. I told him there is a rattle from underneath when it is windy or at highway speeds which I suspected was the exhaust heat shield. I asked him to look at that. I also had a new dash error message saying Check VSC. I asked him to fix that (was guessing another limited life sensor). A week later, he gives me a call, the vehicle is ready. He says they changed the O2 sensor for $400. Then he says they couldn't diagnose the VSC error without changing the O2 sensor (yes, this was a bald-faced lie). Says they replaced the gas tank heat shield for the rattle, wants $300 for that. Angry about the O2 sensor, I paid the bill (they did change it, even though I didn't want it but couldn't argue on the spot). Got in my car to drive away, the Check VSC is still lit up. Went back straight back in and demanded to see the general manager, and told him I wasn't too damn happy. Told him not to waste my time and if he wasn't going to make it right, to say so up front, so I could start spreading the word about them. He promised to get back to me in 24 hours with a resolution. Never did. Within 3 minutes of driving away, I hear the rattle again from underneath, no change in that. Since then, I jacked it up in the driveway and confirmed for myself that the exhaust heat shield is the source of the rattle (they are bi-metal shield-to-fastener, so they don't last).
I tell everyone to avoid Midland Toyota in Midland Ontario now. Dishonest crooks in my experience and opinion. My son some weeks later heard the story and phoned the dealership GM there to ask about why he never got back to me. The GM told him that he thought he did get back to me and must have forgotten. And nothing else was said, so now my son knows why nothing happened to first time I complained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had nothing but terrible experiences with the Toyota dealer in Waco, TX. The more I read this forum I am starting to believe there is not an honest Toyota service department in the country. I read thread after thread of Toyota dealers wanting to charge thousands of dollars for simple fixes and incorrect diagnostic tests. My worst experience to date was when I drove over some wood in a field and broke my fuel line. Toyota of Waco charged me $5000 for a new fuel line and they had my truck for 46 days. I have owned Dodge and Chevy trucks and never felt like they were raping me like Toyota does. I should have known something was wrong when my insurance company told me that the Toyota dealer was the only car dealer in Waco that was NOT on their list of preferred providers.
"Never come to Frederick Toyota on Buckeystown Pike" They fix it today tomorrow its broken again. They fix one thing loosen another to keep you on that Ferris wheel of ongoing repairs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts