Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a DIY project for painting chrome bumpers black, or if there are any Austin/San Antonio owners that now of a place that does the good for a good price, please let me know! Thanks!

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Plasti-dip $5 at Lowe's. No sanding required and you can peel it off if you don't like it and return to the chrome look. If you Plasti-dip them they won't chip like some painted bumpers do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you used it before and do you have to take the bumpers off?

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
I've seen it done to the rear bumper but I haven't seen the front bumper done. If you do the rear bumper it will just like the Rock Warrior rear bumper. No need to remove the bumpers, just put newspaper and tape the news paper to the front of the truck and start using the Plasti-dip. It will take 4 coats of the Plasti-dip on each bumper.

Here's some pics of plasti-dip bumpers on a RockWarrior Tundra. This pic is kinda blurry I'll try and find some better ones.

Here's a better pic.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
the biggest thing with chrome is the prep, if you want to go the paint route which i intend to do (pending on if toyota repairs my currently rusting out bed) you have to take them and get them etched to get the paint & primer to adhere well

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually did the back bumper today. Used plasti dip like everyone was talking about. It looks good, but being a first time DIY, i did not get an even coat. But good thing is if I want to do it over, I can peel it off. I think it will suffice for now. Want to do the grille and front bumper, as well

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Nice man! Got any pics of the bumpers finished up? I bet it looks good

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take some pics tomorrow and post tomorrow. the truck is dirty, but will share

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opinions. I also picked up some perfect match paint to match the paint on the truck. Would it be wise to paint the bumpers to color match?

·
Registered
189 Posts
i just bought some plastidip to do my rear bumper this weekend, hopefully (if the weather cooperates!). how much did you end up using, nbtforce?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About a can and a half. Went back to lowes and got the rest just in case

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Here is a a DIY on at least doing the rear bumper.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-diys/83752-painted-rear-bumper.html

I went ahead and pulled both bumpers to make sure I could get at every surface, and not have to worry about over spray. It only really added an hour of labor (I pulled the front while the rear was drying, and replaced the rear as the front was drying.) Its been on there for a few months now and still look great.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
OkSlim has used white Plasti-dip on his RCSB and it looks like it came from the factory with what all he's done.

·
Registered
293 Posts
From what I have heard, and seen on here, it is pretty close.
OkSlim has used white Plasti-dip on his RCSB and it looks like it came from the factory with what all he's done.
Ok thanks. Guess I'm gonna try this on my bumpers and probably have my grille surround painted by a shop. Not try to take over a thread. Just seemed like a good thread to ask.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide App

1 - 20 of 43 Posts