Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this looks like a double post to you, i posted it in the wrong section before.

I have a 2008 sr5 trd with the non jbl six disc head unit. I found a good deal on a factory head unit from a 2011 rock warrior non jbl. It has Bluetooth which I want so I can play music wirelessly from my iPhone and use Bluetooth for hands free calling.

First question is will the rock warrior radio be plug and play? Or will I need special wiring?

Second question is will the Bluetooth functions work with out steering wheel controls? My truck does not have steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Non-JBL units have the same power/speaker plugs. But at the very least you will need a mic for the BT.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I can't think of why the audio would not stream, unless the mic has to be plugged in to complete a BT circuit somehow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't think of why the audio would not stream, unless the mic has to be plugged in to complete a BT circuit somehow.
ok thanks for the info.

i am going to be at the dealer tomorrow anyway so i can talk to someone there and see what they have to say too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are these head units a big ticket item?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are these head units a big ticket item?
No you can usually find them well under $100 on eBay and Craigslist. I just want to know if it will work before I go thru with buying it and installing just to find out it works the same as my current one

·
Registered
112 Posts
ok i thought maybe the mic was built in to the unit.

do you know if the bt audio will work?
are you talking about using your phone's speaker option hoping that the call audio output streams via bluetooth to your car audio and you speaking through your phone's receiver? then no. without the MIC installed, the bluetooth will temporary disable and your phone functions operates normally.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you talking about using your phone's speaker option hoping that the call audio output streams via bluetooth to your car audio and you speaking through your phone's receiver? then no. without the MIC installed, the bluetooth will temporary disable and your phone functions operates normally.
No I mean the audio as in playing music

·
Registered
112 Posts
No I mean the audio as in playing music
Oh, if that's the case; then yes, it's one of the best bluetooth quality i've had. ranges up to 50 ft away from vehicle to me. Only problem i've had so far is Iphone's Bluetooth will freak out every now and then and won't connect automatically, but all you have to do is turn off and back on the bluetooth on your phone. best $250 i've ever spent. and some guy on another thread figured out how to display his reverse camera on this unit. waiting for his DIY write-up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dealer seems to think it wont work. i think i may just spend the extra cash and get a nice pioneer double din that i know will work. then ill get more eq. settings and can maybe even get some better sound.

·
Registered
112 Posts
dealer seems to think it wont work. i think i may just spend the extra cash and get a nice pioneer double din that i know will work. then ill get more eq. settings and can maybe even get some better sound.
typical dumb dealerships... mine works and im an 07. only thing that wont work on it is entunes, whixh requires 2012+ VIN. but u dont need it anyways, just play pandora from ur phone and it will relay to ur sound system via bluetooth. i can record a video if u really want me to...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
typical dumb dealerships... mine works and im an 07. only thing that wont work on it is entunes, whixh requires 2012+ VIN. but u dont need it anyways, just play pandora from ur phone and it will relay to ur sound system via bluetooth. i can record a video if u really want me to...

No I believe you. But like you said without the mic the calling feature for Bluetooth won't work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no worries, you can get that for 50 bucks and self install. there's a DIY mod here and it takes about 15-30 mins to do it. I've installed mine and it works great. granted, I would spend a few extra bucks and get the kind that is ambient so it won't echo on the other end.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no worries, you can get that for 50 bucks and self install. there's a DIY mod here and it takes about 15-30 mins to do it. I've installed mine and it works great. granted, I would spend a few extra bucks and get the kind that is ambient so it won't echo on the other end.
The thing is by the time I buy the radio for 50 bucks and another 50 on the mic, for 50 more I can get a nice aftermarket pioneer with bt and will probably get better sound from the factory speakers

·
Registered
112 Posts
in total, mine was 250 for everything including the k2 wire. my buddy's was 850 Pioneer. Overall, other than his being a 7" screen and DVD capability, we've both agreed that my BT and Navi was better.

to each his own

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in total, mine was 250 for everything including the k2 wire. my buddy's was 850 Pioneer. Overall, other than his being a 7" screen and DVD capability, we've both agreed that my BT and Navi was better.

to each his own
I think we might be thinking of different things here. The radio out of the rock warrior does not have navigation. It's essentially the same as my 6 disc I currently have but has bluetooth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts