Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I have a 2014 DC 6.5 SR5. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Undercover Flex bed cover.

I have a Bedrug that I have not installed yet. I was planning on purchasing the deck rail system for the obvious purpose of securing cargo but to also help secure the Bedrug in.

I am starting to second guess even purchasing the rails as I would have limited usage with the Undercover Flex.

Would it be better to just purchase a set of stake pocket type securing devices or have you found the deck rail system to be useful even with a cover system installed.

I do not haul a lot of stuff but occasionally I may need to.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I've used mine a couple of times in the 6 months I've had the truck. You can find them cheap on ebay sometimes, so I'd say go for it if one pops up at a good price. It's always handy having extra spots to tie crap down.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I made my own out of some strut. Primary reason was to hold the bed rug in place. Dont know what the OEM set up costs.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
IMHO=Yes
The rail itself had a tendency to loosen up until I used loctite on the bolts.
I think the DIY looks like a good alternative, but I have enough unfinished projects already :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
I want to do the DIY project but my local HD or Lowe's doesn't carry the 7/8's stock.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone.

If I had the time I would definitely make my own.

Anyone using the rails with the Undercover Flex folding cover?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a Leer cover and the bed rail. I may have used mine 2 to 3 times in two years. I would suggest install the bedrug and see if a bungee cord will work for you in the corners if needed.

Because of the hinges on the leer to go up and down and securing the leer to the truck I was limited on the bed rail system

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have an Undercover Flex installed with the bed rail system and it is not possible to use the large cleats that come with the Tundra bed rail system.

There is not enough room between cleats and the bottom of the cover when closed.

Some people have suggested in other threads that these mini tie downs might work with the cover installed.

Mini Tie-Downs for Tacoma and Tundra Bed Rails PT278-35075

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an Undercover Flex installed with the bed rail system and it is not possible to use the large cleats that come with the Tundra bed rail system.

There is not enough room between cleats and the bottom of the cover when closed.

Some people have suggested in other threads that these mini tie downs might work with the cover installed.

Mini Tie-Downs for Tacoma and Tundra Bed Rails PT278-35075
So you had to remove the cleats completely in order to provide clearance for the cover?

Do you think its a cleaner installation of the cover with the bed rail system vs using the clamps that would come with the non bed rail system?

Do the tie down cleats come out easy enough to leave them off until you may need them?

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Have both rails and the UC Flex and I no longer use the rails as the clamps for the cover limit cleat movement.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just ordered mine from toyotapartsoutlet.com for $152.25 shipped! Part # PT278-34071...They are currently offering free holiday shipping and they are out of state so I avoided the high Ca. tax as well. Can't wait to get mine!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
No. The bed rail system is useless with the Flex. I still have the cleats on the rail behind the window. The other cleats cannot be used with the cover.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The flex leaks in the corners. I would try something else, but I think they all leak. The Tundra's bed rails aren't level in the corners which would make it hard to make a good seal. Not sure how sensitive that carpet is to moisture, but it's something to consider.

-Mike-

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just one other option if you have the rails and a cover.... when I had that rail on my tacoma I made a bunch of d-rings that bolted/clamped into the rail and usually used those instead of the cleats(like someone mentioned, the tacoma cleats are junk). You could technically just bolt D-rings to the mounting holes in the bed, but I think putting them on the rail spreads out the load and makes it stronger. I had about 10 of them I could put anywhere, as oppose to trying to use only the 4 cleats.

Random picture from google just to give you an idea:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just one other option if you have the rails and a cover.... when I had that rail on my tacoma I made a bunch of d-rings that bolted/clamped into the rail and usually used those instead of the cleats(like someone mentioned, the tacoma cleats are junk). You could technically just bolt D-rings to the mounting holes in the bed, but I think putting them on the rail spreads out the load and makes it stronger. I had about 10 of them I could put anywhere, as oppose to trying to use only the 4 cleats.

Random picture from google just to give you an idea:
Wow, That is exactly what I did!

I ended up measuring the hole locations for the track mount and documenting them before installing the Bedrug. I then poked the end of a utility knife into corresponding hole locations in the Bedrug and bolted in the D-rings. I sprayed all of the hardware flat black first so it's a very clean install.

I ended up going with the Roll-X cover instead of the Undercover Flex.

So far it has worked great and it only cost me around $25.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts