Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a build to order (actually dealer requested changes) SR5 and I want to put the 18" TSS alloys on it after delivery.

These are plentiful on auction sites but if I order the truck with Steelies will the TPMS transfer over?

Thinking about getting the alloys regardless, Toyota is very proud of their OEM alloy wheel lugs. The cost for a set of those alone is over $200. If the TPMS is different thats another $250 or so. Also it doesn't look like Steelies fetch very much on eBay if you want to sell them.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
No the sensors from the steel wheels won't swap over to the alloys.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Another dumb question... If the lug nuts are different is the spare steel wheel specially designed to work with the alloy lug nuts?
Not necessarily Bro. The ones that came with my alloys just didn't look/feel right when I checked them on the steel spare. So I bought $10 worth of standard lugs for the spare and keep them under the seat. I would also suggest that you 100% check that your "lug wrench" fits your alloy wheel lugs.

I plan to solve all this crap by getting a 5th aluminum wheel and tire.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
That's a good question, but I'm guessing since all the alloy wheels come with flat washer lugs and have steel spares......they must fit.
I was worried my Gorilla ET lugs wouldn't fit the spare, but they did....

If they TSS wheels are common in your area, you could try to find some complete take offs on CL.
Not sure what the odds are of finding them as everyone seems to want astronomical $$$ for lame take offs up here....in the U.S. prices seem a bit more normal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Coming from Honda vehicles where the radius lug nut profile works on the alloy and steel spare. Pretty sure my f150 is the same way.

I just like the TSS wheels. My experience is that years down the road oem wheels can be found as replacements (mainly because so many were made and subsequently taken off) whereas aftermarket wheels tend to get discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Coming from Honda vehicles where the radius lug nut profile works on the alloy and steel spare. Pretty sure my f150 is the same way.

I just like the TSS wheels. My experience is that years down the road oem wheels can be found as replacements (mainly because so many were made and subsequently taken off) whereas aftermarket wheels tend to get discontinued.

Be aware, the TSS wheels are a Port-Added-wheel, not OEM.
I think the old TSS wheels at one point were Ultra Mammoth.

I believe all OEM wheels for the Tundra are either 20x8 or 18x8 +60 offset.
The port added wheels vary ie. 20x9 +50 offset appeared to be a common one.

Just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be aware, the TSS wheels are a Port-Added-wheel, not OEM.

I think the old TSS wheels at one point were Ultra Mammoth.

I believe all OEM wheels for the Tundra are either 20x8 or 18x8 +60 offset.

The port added wheels vary ie. 20x9 +50 offset appeared to be a common one.

Just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the heads up.

These are the ones I am looking at. Maybe I am not describing them correctly.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I'm in Canada so I don't know the TSS package.
They are probably a generic aftermarket wheel with a custom centre cap....I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm in Canada so I don't know the TSS package.
They are probably a generic aftermarket wheel with a custom centre cap....I could be wrong though.
They sure look like an OEM option wheel just based on the internal wheel markings. Surprisingly they are USA made also.

The 18" Alloy wheel option is port installed as a standalone option but I believe the TSS package was a factory installed option?

Here is the link to the wheels in question. They are listed as "Tundra Sequoia TRD TSS 18" OEM wheel"

Can anybody confirm what year and package wheel these are?

Toyota Tundra TRD Sequoia TSS 2015 2016 2017 18" OEM Factory Wheel Rim Silver

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, if the alloy wheels are port installed, what do they roll around on when they leave the assembly plant? Is there some type of internal wheel exchange program between the Toyota "port" and the assembly plant? Just curious.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just installed that very same wheel on my 2010 Tundra got a set for $800 wrapped in Michelins with only 500 miles and pressure sensors included....I got my lugnuts from Napa $5 and and Ryan automotive $6 a piece each place only had 12 in stock thats why I went to 2 different places. I looked on Amazon and found them as cheap as $4 a piece but needed tires on my truck now to keep it safe. Part number for lug nuts is 611-277 Dorman Products.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just installed that very same wheel on my 2010 Tundra got a set for $800 wrapped in Michelins with only 500 miles and pressure sensors included....I got my lugnuts from Napa $5 and and Ryan automotive $6 a piece each place only had 12 in stock thats why I went to 2 different places. I looked on Amazon and found them as cheap as $4 a piece but needed tires on my truck now to keep it safe. Part number for lug nuts is 611-277 Dorman Products.
How did you find them? Seems like a very good deal!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.