Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 tundra dc 4x2 4.6v8 with 900 miles. It had 600 due to dealer delivery.

My first full take gave me 260 miles on 21 gallons yielding 12.4 mpg

I drive pretty light, but mostly city miles and 10% ethanol.

I was hoping for 17ish ....

Will it get better after breaking in?

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
What brand of ding ding did you get? (gas)

Bad gas? Especially with the 4.6l. I've got a 5.7 leveled with 33's and I'm at 14mpg.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a bp, but after their redesign they never put the bp signage back up and the machine never asks me about my bonus gas on my bp. I think I will try the Exxon down the street they are the only non ethanol station in town.

· Registered
94 Posts
I know on my previous two Toyotas things continued to improve until about 20,000 miles. My Tundra with the 5.7 gets about 15 around town and 17-ish on the highway on winter E10.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
haha yea realistic enough, it's weird i'm leveled and im getting 14 and a half mpg mix of city and high way. my wifes cousins tundra is stock, and he gets 16 mpg mix of city and high way. there is a guy out here in wa who deleted his cats, his truck is also lowered and he was saying he was getting 18 city 20 high way some thing like that

· Registered
1,003 Posts
It depends a lot on your driving style too. If you always drive it like you stole it, you're going to have poor gas mileage. Over time your computer will learn your driving habits and adjust for efficiency. It's called adaptive learning.

· Registered
850 Posts
675 miles on the clicker...avg 14.5 mpg. 70/30 highway / city

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Alot has to do with mpg's. Weather, terrain, 4x4 vs 4x2, Lifted vs not lifted, A/T tires vs street tires. The way you stop and start. Patience is one key. I get from 17 to 22mpg. City and hwy mix. Got 17mpg on a 1,600 mile trip doing 80 mph in the mountains of WV,VA. In 07 the 4.6 didn't get better mpg's than the 5.7 due to the tranny used. The 5.7 had the 6 speed while the smaller 4.6 had a 5 speed tranny. SO naturally I paid more for the 5.7. Makes alot of sense, Right! It will improve as the engine breaks in. Your ECM has to learn how you drive and it makes the adjustments to your driving style along with the terrain, weather etc. One tank doesn't tell a story but a chapter of the truck.
12-22-200894645PM-1.jpg Photo by Mickey9201 | Photobucket

· Registered
245 Posts
You filled up on 21 gallons(when the light comes on) but you still have another 5.6 gallons in there, that should boost it up a smidge if you let it run some more..... I think lol

· Registered
375 Posts
I usually keep a log in every truck I own, so I can write the correct specifics at the pump every time from the delivery date on. Once I fill up y write lads odo, trip odo, gallons and price.
I now have just over 3000 miles and to answer your question, yes, it does improve. I started about the same as you did and now I am around 15-16 hand calculated as well as using fuelly.com (highly recommend this site)
BP is amongst the best around me as far as yielding higher mpg's but I drive all over the state so I can't always be picky.
As said before don't expect Prius' MPG's, you bought a truck. If you go by the on board computer (if you have it) you may get discourage so do the math by hand;)

· Registered
5,147 Posts
City mileage drags it down by alot. When you are sitting still you get zero mpg. When you accelerate you are getting 4-8 mpg. You have whatever limited time that you are at light throttle to make up for that and drag it further up into the teens. In heavy traffic situation you may only be able to break into the teens for a few seconds before you have to come back to a stand still and start getting zero again.

The instantaneous readout is an excellent tool to help you modify your driving style to optimize mileage. I find that in city driving accelerating super slow can actually hurt you. It means you are spending a longer amount of time at heavy throttle when the engine needs the most fuel. You need to find the happy medium where you get up to speed with a reasonable quickness so you can spend the maximum amount of time possible between stops in a minimal or zero throttle condition.

In my experience with my 5.7 it takes a LONG TIME, like many miles of gentle driving on each tank to get your average to the high teens. But then only a couple bouts of hard acceleration can get you back down to 11 or 12 mpg in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: 12GRAYCREW

· Registered
35 Posts
OK, I'm probably one of the few guys that gets good mileage. I have a 2012 Tundra Grade 2wd 4.6. My worst every day driving tank in my 8500 miles of ownership has been 19.3 mpg, and my best has been 23.7. These are hand figured. I know why I do well. I live in a rural area and nearly all of my travel is on side roads and minor freeways with most travel at 50 to 60 mph. My town has no stop lights and when traveling through the nearest larger town to access the freeway, I can take the truck route and skip about 8 stoplights. The few miles of stop and go driving that I do shows pretty low mpg on my ScanGauge @ 14-16 mpg.

I do often tow a small travel trailer (18' and 3700lbs.), and sometimes haul some fair loads. Hand figuring the towing mpg I've got from 10.6 to 14.1 mpg per tank. Towing has been everything from flatlands to mountain passes. Both the every day and towing mileage of the Tundra has been 1 to 2 mpg better than that of my previous '06 4.0 Taco Prerunner.

I know under different circumstances that I wouldn't do as well, but the little 4.6 sure fits my lifestyle and usage. I'm pleased with my mileage, but not worried about it. If I wanna do better, I just drive the Scion.

· Registered
403 Posts
My Tundra was my first new vehicle and I noticed that my mileage DID improve after about 10,000 miles. My mpgs increased from about 14 to about 16. (still not a prius!)

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
Alot has to do with mpg's. Weather, terrain, 4x4 vs 4x2, Lifted vs not lifted, A/T tires vs street tires. The way you stop and start,......
........elevation/air density, where you bought the fuel, how much moisture and contaminants are in that particular holding tank, how long the fuel has been in the tank/if it is a fresh batch that was just delivered, etc, the ethanol content is a huge performance killer, both in BTUs and mileage and there's the difference between summer and winter blended fuel.
All else being equal, I dropped from 12-14 mpg city, to just over 10, simply from the switch to winter blend.
Other than that, all the other factors above, contribute to fluctuations across the board. My best mileage is in summer, when I use non ethanol fuel and drive like a gramma.
I'm still not convinced of this "learning" curve that I hear the ECU has. I think it's simply a matter of all the factors listed above. Which, vary from gas station to gas station and day to day. So, I guess I'm saying that it is all dependent on all these factors and your truck itself won't make any decisions to change, nor will it be much more broken in than it is right now. Except maybe parts wearing out. But that would hurt mileage, not help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.