Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when I first saw the Pro, I thought to myself “why would they put what looked like street tires on a truck with a top-of-the-line suspension?!”

It just didn’t make sense to me, so naturally I started looking at putting some KO2’s or Cooper ST Maxx or Nitto RG’s with a70 sidewall. Then I realized that it’s gonna cost another 1500 for 5 tires OTD.

Then I thought..."why the hell am I spending 1500 on tires that are basically just going to make the truck look a little different?!" Because that didn’t make sense to me either.

Are some of you replacing your AT2’s with tires that are pretty much the same size but with different tread? Help me rationalize this because I really don't like the look of the Michelin's but can't seem to pull the trigger on new tires just because of that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I ran my factory tires until they were worn pretty far.

Then I lifted it and put larger aggressive tires.

The pro is already lifted. If I had one, I’d put a slightly larger aggressive tire on it because I need them for how I use my truck. If you don’t need off road traction, run the factory tires for a while.

Looks are a factor for me but function is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased my new 2018 TRD with the same Michelins and immediately replaced them with KO2s after 24 miles. I sold the Michelins for $300. I'll use my truck off road so I wanted a more aggressive tread design. If you aren't going off road and only need traction on light snow or forestry road like conditions then the Michelins will be fine plus they will get better fuel milage and have a longer tread life. To me, the truck just needs a more aggressive tire so the additional costs due to shorter tread life and reduced fuel milage is insignificant.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I feel the same way. I'd love to throw on a larger better looking tire, the Toyo or Nitto.. But these Michelin's ride SO good.... It's hard to get rid of them. Especially since I've only put 8500 miles on them so far. They have lots of life left. I put 60,000+ on my last set.

Also, shop around online... you should be able to do better than $1500...

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,390 Posts
I wish Toyota put real 33’s on as OEM.

I switched from a 20” to 18” wheel. I bought “take offs” on the used market.

The new tires are the ATX’s. I wish they were 275 70R 18’s. The 275 65R 18’s don’t fill out the wheel well.

Happy for now. I’ll go bigger next time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I appreciate the thoughts folks. I decided I'll keep them on there for now because I went with a diamondback tonneau instead...lol.

I will ride these out for the moment since they do ride well. No complaints on them outside the fact they're on the smaller and more tame side

·
Registered
289 Posts
i flipped my stock rims for $700 w/less than 1500 miles. Picked up the TRD set for $1,000 less than 1,000 miles. Just passed 20k miles on the truck and alot of tread left. But did pick up a new set of 20s Fuels Black Friday deal. Just can't pull the trigger now for $1,000 for new tires,. Gotta stretch out my purchases over next few months so i dont have a credit card balance. I like to pay off what i purchase within the same month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, looks like I'm late to the party and you have already decided. I'll try to be of help down the road. Worth it is up to you, whether you're a form or function guy. I replaced mine on a 2019 pro at 1k miles- because I'm concerned with off road function. I ripped the plastic trim off my rear bumper at 200 miles due to lack of ground clearance/ departure angle. The stock tread wouldn't get me where I needed either. I also work at a tire shop part time so after selling the michelins I was only out of pocket 600 dollars. Worth it to me. Now for the useful part. If/ when you decide to upgrade I can tell you for a fact 285/70r18 nitto ridge grapplers fit a 2019 pro with zero mods or rubbing. Looks to me like a 295 would rub. Hope that helps, at least someone, down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran mine into the Dirt, and when I replaced them tire guy told me I still had about 10k left on them, great tires, just don't have the off road look for the PRO.

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
I ordered new tires before my truck even came in. Removed the small mich's for the Exo Grapp's. I had also already had my level kit, and a bunch of other stuff before the truck came in, so I knew I wouldn't be happy with the tiny michelins that came stock.

The day of delivery, or the day after I had them swapped. Sold the stockers for $300 or $350, they were only like a $150ish tire new at the time.
The tire shop said for liability issues they couldn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, looks like I'm late to the party and you have already decided. I'll try to be of help down the road. Worth it is up to you, whether you're a form or function guy. I replaced mine on a 2019 pro at 1k miles- because I'm concerned with off road function. I ripped the plastic trim off my rear bumper at 200 miles due to lack of ground clearance/ departure angle. The stock tread wouldn't get me where I needed either. I also work at a tire shop part time so after selling the michelins I was only out of pocket 600 dollars. Worth it to me. Now for the useful part. If/ when you decide to upgrade I can tell you for a fact 285/70r18 nitto ridge grapplers fit a 2019 pro with zero mods or rubbing. Looks to me like a 295 would rub. Hope that helps, at least someone, down the road.
When I do replace the tires...that's good to know. I know some folks say that they have 295's that don't rub but I find that very hard to believe. That's why I was thinking 285/70/18. I've never ridden on RG's....hopefully they'll ride similarly to the KO2's that I was familiar with in terms of noise/handling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it worth the money to replace the Michelin AT2’s?

FWIW
I have a stock 2017 TRD PRO and I’m running 295/70-18 on my stock trd pro suspension/wheels and I’ve yet to experience any rubbing whatsoever

Tires are Toyo AT2

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have also heard 295s are good with no rub and I have no reason to doubt anyone that claims this. As to ride/ noise comparison- that was my biggest concern going to the RG. I had ko2 and deuler revo2 on a 2013 raptor, ko2 slightly louder than the Bridgestone, but the ridge grappler is dead even with the ko2 as far as ride and noise. I was very surprised. We didn't stock the RG at my shop until I got them, now we're selling them like crazy because everyone that sees mine wants them. RG puts them both to shame in mud and sand. We rarely get snow/ice so I'm no help there. I have yet to need airing down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are the chances of getting the dealer to put real tires on a TRD Pro before you take it off the lot? At no extra cost of course. Street tires and fox shocks don't go well together.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's really up to you, and $$. As others have said, would be great if the dealer is willing to give you a decent credit fr the stock tires. I wish the stock tires were larger/looked better, but I'm going to let them wear out and will go with 295/70 KO's with white letters when the time comes. I'm too cheap to swap out tires for looks ;-) lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts