Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I installed the Ironman foam cell pro stage 2. The new UCA's are really close to the stock wheels and tires. Only enough room to get part of my hand in between. Is this normal? I'm afraid if I put a bigger tire on it will rub. Thoughts? I really didn't want to have to use aftermarket wheels. I like the TRD ones.

Thanks
IMG_20210115_160358894_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210115_160449616_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210115_160408213.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
The stock upper control arm is close also, I have run up to 285-65-20 and the clearance is about 1/4 inch with stock 20s. Never had a rubbing issue though. However you are not going to get a set of snow chains on the front. I have since changed to 275-65-20 just because they have less load rating, greater availability, and cost about $100.00 less a tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock upper control arm is close also, I have run up to 285-65-20 and the clearance is about 1/4 inch with stock 20s. Never had a rubbing issue though. However you are not going to get a set of snow chains on the front. I have since changed to 275-65-20 just because they have less load rating, greater availability, and cost about $100.00 less a tire.
So you have the ironman kit with the UCA's and run 285/65s on stock 18" TRD wheels? Because that's what I'm asking if it wasn't clear.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Your message was clear. Other than a beatiful billett upper control arm I do not see any clearance differences from a stock upper control arm to the tire. Although my wife says I have been wrong before. No. I have the stock upper control arms and stock 20 inch limited wheels +60 offset. I have run this with a 3/1 lift level kit. But I can see from your great pictures that the clearance looks simular. I have much taller tires and the fattest part of my tires is right at the widest part of the upper control arm and I had 1/4 inch of clearance with the 285-65-20 and I have closer to 1/3 of an inch clearance with the 275-65-20. With your current tires the widest part of your tires is well below the upper control arm. You will want to avoid tires with large side biters and you can go tall and not so wide. Usually you can find a tire shop that will put a tire size you want run on just one wheel and let you look at the clearance issues prior to purchasing. This may be an option for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following... I would like to learn more as well. I am not sure if a stock UCA or the Ironman UCA is closer to the tire.
Another forum shows 285/75/18 Cooper AT3s and Goodyear Duratrac with stock rims and no wheel spacers. one of them had aftermarket UCA (Total Chaos). I believe pulling the front mudflap was all that was needed.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I have Rancho kit installed, appx 2.5" lift front, and their uca's, that correct caster for the kit/lift.

I'm running a 275/60 on stock 20" wheels.

Here's a picture, I tried to show how much clearance I have from the backside, wheels facing straight forward. Can't really tell in your pics how close it is, so I changed the angle. Take another pic and report back, I don't think it's too close on yours, as I have seen closer.

I am guessing your clearance is about the same as mine.

I dig those uca's. I added mine to the kit when I bought the 17 as I had caster angle issues before on my 2010, and really bad rubbing with my summer wheel setup (33x12.5-18's with +30 offset is my summer setup) on the last truck on the front flappy do's, and the entire behind fog light cover. These had poly bushings and a grease fitting, which as a tech, I like.

gap.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: RIjon
1 - 8 of 8 Posts