Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I briefly revived the other old Ironman 4x4 thread here, but thought i'd make a dedicated review of my impressions so far of this kit on my 2008 Tundra.

backstory- I also have a 97 Landcruiser, that's fairly built with gears, armor, lockers, and a 4" lift. I installed Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell pro Shocks on it several months ago to replace the 2 year old FOX 2.0's. the ride quality was immediately better. Firm, but not teeth rattling, plush when it needs to be, and super over-engineered to AUS standards. I also ran OME nitrogen shocks before the Fox's, and they were not good. My cruiser weighs 6200 lbs, and it now feels juuuust right for that heavy pig

That started me looking for a better ride on my 08 Tundra. for the last 3 years I've had 6112's set to top height, Camburg ball joint UCA's, a CB +2 shackles with icon 2.0's. The 5160's were on back order for over 6 months back then. I am also on 295/70r18's on Method roosts.

this was a good set up for me mostly. I put about 30K on that lift, and didn't really have too many complaints other than the Icons have probably exceeded their service life, even though theres no apparent leaks. the 6112's always felt alittle stiff on the miles of DNR and forest roads up here in the PNW. and the CB shackles are so massive that my 295 spare rubbed badly even after I cut out some stuff underneath to fit.

I happened upon a great deal with Ironman 4x4 North America out of Portland and after talking with Luke and Chris I decided that's the route I wanted to go. the price was a steal, got the kit on sale and with free shipping was under 1600 for everything required including greasable shackles, full leaf springs, coils, struts, shocks, u-bolts, brake like relocation bracket, top hats...this kit came COMPLETE. To my knowledge i'm the first guy in north America to install this kit on a tundra.

I did have to buy a larger spring compressor, went with the shankley one on amazon. Super beefy, and did the job. these coils are extremely robust and could kill someone.

install was straight forward. The struts are adjustable and come set to 2-2.5" of lift. I went alittle higher to try and get 3" of lift, which I think I exceeded. Still waiting for alignment numbers, I may have to take a few turns off the adjusting ring. I do have the required down travel of 60MM still, and it drives fine, so I think with the camburg upper arms i'll be in the clear,

I gained about an inch on the fronts from my 6112's, and about 3/4 out back from the CB +2 shackles. I believe i'm at 3.5" now and 2" rear. I just took it for a 40 mile roundtrip spin up on some logging roads in the North Cascades or Washington State where I live and it drives AWESOME. soaks up all the washboard spots, potholes, ruts. I was flying down the roads at 40MPH, something i'd have never done on my old setup. the shocks were warm, but not too hot to keep my hands on them when I stopped.

anyways, I'm really happy with the new kit, and for the price it can't be beat. I really hope Ironman 4x4 takes off in this country. Chris and Luke and the rest of team are really easy to work with and know Toyotas.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cool, glad to hear you like it. How is the leaf spring, does it seem harsh, improve the bed bounce or similar to before?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, glad to hear you like it. How is the leaf spring, does it seem harsh, improve the bed bounce or similar to before?
bed bounce is drastically improved. not sure if my icons weren't dampening enough. I was able to easily compress and expand with just my hands, but they weren't leaking.

I think with the full leaf packs, and new shocks the ride is superb.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
...anyways, I'm really happy with the new kit, and for the price it can't be beat. I really hope Ironman 4x4 takes off in this country. Chris and Luke and the rest of team are really easy to work with and know Toyotas.
Updates on how these are working for you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updates on how these are working for you?
Really good. I ended up dropping the front about an inch. Also I ended up installing a total chaos 3/4 shackle out back because I stripped a plate on the iron man shackle while installing it. I spoke to the guys there and they offered to just send another shackle, free of charge, but I wanted slightly higher lift in the back because the front turned out tall. I think it looks and drives amazing. just last week I was out deer hunting in Eastern Washington, and took it down some very rough and rutted logging roads. Very happy with the end result. I don't know why more people aren't running this kit. fully adjustable coilovers, 3 year warranty, and some of the beefiest shocks in the game. I confidently drive down washboard logging roads at 30mph and it feels great. my old 6112's and icons would've rattled the teeth outta my head at same speeds. I also pulled my swaybar because I broke the welded nuts inside the frame the second time I went to adjust the coilovers...used an impact instead of hand tools in the interest of time and broke it free, so I sawzalled off and don't think i'll even bother trying to reinstall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts