Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been wanting to do this for awhile now. I finally got it done! the iPad is just the right size for the dash. I should have taken some pics during the fabrication:confused: I pushed the head unit in behind the Ipad... Kinda of a pain to get to if I need to change the EQ but it works. It's great for tunes and nav.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Reactions: Kharlwright

·
Registered
408 Posts
How you guys have tune and nav ? Are u guys tethering with unlimited data ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I lost all respect for this thread when I saw Nickleback on the screen :lol5: jk. Nicely done, I'm also interested in how you have Nav.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I just enlarged the double din opening on the mill then used some bondo to fill in the sides. The iPad connects through USB to my DEH-prs80 head unit. I use the Tom Tom app from the apple store for nav. I can also
stream data to the iPad for pandora and other apps.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Does it work as backup camera?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does it work as backup camera?
That is the million dollar question! I would like to do this myself, but can't find anywhere on the web that shows people using the iPad mini or the Nexus7 integrated with backup cam.Maybe someone on this forum has done it...if so, I would love to see how you did it.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
There has to be an update to this setup... I'd love to have an ipad or ipad mini, but I use my backup cam too much to ditch that!

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's called CarPlay... and apparently Toyota isn't on board. I'd be happy if I got Siri when I push the voice button on the wheel, instead of the Entune assistant.

Nice work tho! congrats on the install.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
It's called CarPlay... and apparently Toyota isn't on board. I'd be happy if I got Siri when I push the voice button on the wheel, instead of the Entune assistant.

Nice work tho! congrats on the install.
Nope. Thanks for the response but if "Toyota isn't on board", then that means CarPlay isn't the answer I'm looking for.

I'm considering re-doing my backup cam so it connects to my rearview mirror and then redoing part of my stereo (swapping the head unit) so I can actually have an ipad mini in my dash.

You see, I'm not happy with letting Toyota or anyone else tell me what I can or cannot do... so I'm looking for a solution that meets MY desires.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
You see, I'm not happy with letting Toyota or anyone else tell me what I can or cannot do... so I'm looking for a solution that meets MY desires.
Then why on gods green earth would you put the most use restricted device in your dashboard? Stick an android tablet in there!

Reactions: wolfy
1 - 20 of 35 Posts