Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a lurker for some time, began having this starting issue with my Tundra recently. Truck is a 2004 Double Cab SR5 V8 4WD. It goes like this:

sometimes, without apparent cause, I'll get in the Tundra and go to start it. I'll turn the key to accessory power, get lights, chimes, etc. Turn key to "on", all good still. Turn the key to actually start the truck, and lose all power with one little click. After that I can remove the key, reinsert, hit any number of buttons in the cab, even the keyless entry remote doesn't revive it. Only disconnecting and reconnecting the positive terminal of the battery fixes it.

Sometimes the issue will repeat one or two additional times before I can successfully start the truck. Usually I'll only have one episode of this per day, often won't happen for days or weeks after. I've checked terminals on the battery, cables appear to be good as is the connection at the starter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been a lurker for some time, began having this starting issue with my Tundra recently. Truck is a 2004 Double Cab SR5 V8 4WD. It goes like this:

sometimes, without apparent cause, I'll get in the Tundra and go to start it. I'll turn the key to accessory power, get lights, chimes, etc. Turn key to "on", all good still. Turn the key to actually start the truck, and lose all power with one little click. After that I can remove the key, reinsert, hit any number of buttons in the cab, even the keyless entry remote doesn't revive it. Only disconnecting and reconnecting the positive terminal of the battery fixes it.

Sometimes the issue will repeat one or two additional times before I can successfully start the truck. Usually I'll only have one episode of this per day, often won't happen for days or weeks after. I've checked terminals on the battery, cables appear to be good as is the connection at the starter.
Could be neutral safety switch....next time this happens, move the gear shift from and back into park position - try again.

Buckaroo

·
10,631 Posts
I know you said disconnecting and connecting the positive terminal fixes it, but I can't help but think it might be the negative. Next time it happens, try connecting a jumper cable from the negative side to the block. It could be the movement of the positive cable is making the negative side jiggle and make a better connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to try both of those ideas when it next gives me trouble. Does anyone know whether these vehicles are sensitive to a replacement key? The keys the truck came with are both aftermarket. Are they supposed to be chipped?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts