Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum because I have problem that has myself and dealer stumped. 2016 Tundra Crew Max 4x4. Bought used, 32K miles. Intermittently, the 15A brake fuse 'TAIL' is blowing. When that fuse blows, you can't switch out of Park. I keep a pack of fuses with me to keep from driving around w/o brake lights (via manually overriding the shift lock with a screwdriver).

I checked all of the usual suspects - I've followed the wires from under the engine to the end of the truck and taped anything that looked even a little exposed. (no visible wear on any wires). I've replaced the towing wiring harness in case it was that. Replaced all three brake lights and taped all the immediate wiring out of them to death. Have looked everywhere for any after market add ons that prior owner may have done and couldn't find anything (dealer did the same).

Happens w/o any water exposure (I live in the desert), standard street driving. W/o rhyme or reason. Won't happen for 3 weeks and then it happens non-stop. Of course, take it to the dealer and it stops, so they can't recreate. Seems to pop when I start the truck and depress the brake. When it happens, sometimes if I try to immediately replace the fuse it will pop again. If I drive for 5 minutes, it's fine again and I can replace the fuse. During that time of driving, dash warning lights will start going off (ABS, anti-slip, etc). They all reset when I replace the 'TAIL' fuse.

Where I need some help... during that 5 minute window, what parts should I put a meter on to see what is pushing too much juice through the circuit?

Any help is appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Surely a safety issue.
Next time it happens take pics of everything.
Tell Toyota that you no longer are able to drive the truck as the loss of brake lights
and the inability to start the truck are/can be a life threatening issue.
Injury or loss of life has a way of getting managements attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. Since they don't want to swap parts out w/o being able to recreate it, guess that I'll need to figure out how to escalate the issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I sold my Mercedes coupe a year ago after it was stuck in park thanks to a defective design in the shifter linkage. Mercedes chose not to fix the problem for more than a decade.

I have to believe that the problem with the rear brake light and fuse blowing is related to the brake pedal indicator switch. The pedal switch needs to have continuity to allow shifting out of park. I would bet that this switch is shorting out the circuit and causing the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's my thought too. Seems like an easy thing for them to swap out to try to resolve the potentially dangerous problem. Getting close to 5K service, and this is where I'm gonna start...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately, the problem changed from being intermittent to consistent. Toyota was able to trace the problem to a crimped wiring harness above the rear driver side door. They replaced the harness and the problem has gone away. Fortunately, I first reported the problem while it was still within warranty, so they covered everything even though I am now well passed the warranty period. They obviously had never seen this problem before and agreed that it must have occurred during production build. Very glad to finally have this resolved after 2 years and dozens of fuses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts