Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this on my 2008 4Runner and have just completed it on the new-to-me 2016 Tundra. Replaced all the interior as well as the bed lights with LEDs from Headlight Revolution. Like night turned into day. I couldn't read anything using the previous lights but now everything is just right. The color is a bit too DAYLIGHT for my eyes, but it does make it easier to see.

One of the easiest and cheapest mods available that pays benefits for the lifetime of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I went with the Philips vision LED's for mine and much happier. I don't know if I would do it on each truck in the future, but I'm happy with the current results and it is easier to see stuff inside.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Rock Warrior 4X4 (Black)
10 Posts
I went with the Phillips LED also. One thing I did as a trial was using a red LED for the passenger side map light. It works good at night for seeing most things in the cab without blinding you from seeing the road. I have also found that using the red light at night while driving reduces fatigue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Went with yorkim from amazon on my interior. So far I love it! Now onto my high bed lights and third brake light next..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update I just priced a complete overhaul from vled and headlight revolution and they both cost about the same. I originally went the super cheap route and bought all LED lights from amazon and spent like 15 bucks, now overtime I open the door its like a disco in there. I just ordered from VLED, i can't wait to have them done

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to tack onto this thread. I am back in the Tundra game after a brief absence and decided to replace all the interior bulbs in my 2019 Tundra Limited CrewMax with LEDs.

I swapped out all of the interior bulbs and the high mounted bed light bulbs in my truck with some cheap LEDs I had sitting around from previous projects. It looked OK, but wasn't really quite as bright as I would have liked - or the color that I was looking for.

Even though they are pricey, I've always heard great things about VLED branded LEDs, so I ordered up a full set. They came in yesterday and I re-swapped out all of the cheap LEDs with the VLED brand bulbs. I will say, they are very nicely constructed bulbs, CRAZY BRIGHT, and were the color tone I was looking for. Exactly what I wanted!

One issue I noticed right away, is that the range on my key fob when locking/unlocking the doors remotely dropped to almost nothing when the LED lights were illuminated (like when first exiting the truck or when trying to push the unlock twice to unlock all the doors). I had a similar range problem in the past after I put LED bulbs in the housing for my home garage door opener - so figured it was related to one of the sets of LEDs giving off radio interference. I narrowed it down to the two high mounted bed light bulbs - the ones on each side of the third brake light. That must be where the remote door lock antenna runs. With those switched off, the range is back to what it was - regardless of the state of the interior lights. So, at this point, I'll either swap back to the cheap ones I had in there that didn't cause the problem, or maybe reach out to VLED and see if they have an alternative that might have better RF shielding.

Anyway, no real point to this post aside from putting the information out there in case the range issue was to happen to anyone else.

Dan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to tack onto this thread. I am back in the Tundra game after a brief absence and decided to replace all the interior bulbs in my 2019 Tundra Limited CrewMax with LEDs.

I swapped out all of the interior bulbs and the high mounted bed light bulbs in my truck with some cheap LEDs I had sitting around from previous projects. It looked OK, but wasn't really quite as bright as I would have liked - or the color that I was looking for.

Even though they are pricey, I've always heard great things about VLED branded LEDs, so I ordered up a full set. They came in yesterday and I re-swapped out all of the cheap LEDs with the VLED brand bulbs. I will say, they are very nicely constructed bulbs, CRAZY BRIGHT, and were the color tone I was looking for. Exactly what I wanted!

One issue I noticed right away, is that the range on my key fob when locking/unlocking the doors remotely dropped to almost nothing when the LED lights were illuminated (like when first exiting the truck or when trying to push the unlock twice to unlock all the doors). I had a similar range problem in the past after I put LED bulbs in the housing for my home garage door opener - so figured it was related to one of the sets of LEDs giving off radio interference. I narrowed it down to the two high mounted bed light bulbs - the ones on each side of the third brake light. That must be where the remote door lock antenna runs. With those switched off, the range is back to what it was - regardless of the state of the interior lights. So, at this point, I'll either swap back to the cheap ones I had in there that didn't cause the problem, or maybe reach out to VLED and see if they have an alternative that might have better RF shielding.

Anyway, no real point to this post aside from putting the information out there in case the range issue was to happen to anyone else.

Dan.
To add to the above, I reached out to VLED tech support yesterday. They said that their LEDs use constant current drivers to control voltage where cheaper leds use resistors. Due to this the drivers can emit some radio interference. They do not have a different bulb for that location but did offer me a full refund on both bulbs. They also suggested trying each bulb individually as it could be a defective driver on just one of the two bulbs causing the issue. If that ends up being the case, they offered to send me a replacement. I have not had time yet to try them out individually.

Their customer service seems stellar though.

Dan.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I went the 8 dollar ebay route 5 or 7 years ago and am totally happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.