Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon!

I'm sure that a similar topic has been covered (front facing cameras), but I wanted to see if anyone had done anything with an interior camera for a rear facing car seat.

I've been looking at using the Brandmotion 9002-6117 2-way video switcher, and adding a camera in the back headliner so that I could switch from the navigation to be able to see the car seat on the screen.

Has anyone done anything similar, or even used the Brandmotion switch? Which camera did you use?

I have a 2011 Tundra with the JBL Nav and Rear Camera.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a mirror that attached to the seat which allowed you to see the baby through your rear-view mirror, or also the old, wife-sit-in-the-back mod. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, come on now... that's gotta be a last resort mod if I can't configure it the way I want! We're all gadget junkies on here!

Although... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
This must be your first kid? Just wait a month or so an you will be asking how to install a 1/4 steel plate divider between the front and back seat.

Reactions: Dragos28

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This must be your first kid? Just wait a month or so an you will be asking how to install a 1/4 steel plate divider between the front and back seat.
Yup! 1st kid... my wife has a 2011 4Runner, with the nav and back up camera as well. I was willing to be a guinea pig on the project because one of her co-workers just bought an Odyssey with the multi-camera options. Figured adding the option would be cheaper than a car note!

I guess when I get to that point, I'll just pick up another crewmax cab and fab the back wall behind the front seats so I can roll the window up! lol

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Good afternoon!

I'm sure that a similar topic has been covered (front facing cameras), but I wanted to see if anyone had done anything with an interior camera for a rear facing car seat.

I've been looking at using the Brandmotion 9002-6117 2-way video switcher, and adding a camera in the back headliner so that I could switch from the navigation to be able to see the car seat on the screen.

Has anyone done anything similar, or even used the Brandmotion switch? Which camera did you use?

I have a 2011 Tundra with the JBL Nav and Rear Camera.
first off just let me say i think it's a bad idea. even with a high rez camera the composite feed will look terrible. it's a lot of money and parts for a lot of nothing you won't need in a few months.

that being said you just need a video interface

https://www.amazon.com/Crux-Interfacing-VIMTY-05-Activation-Vehicles/dp/B014UOXUG2

make sure to RTFM before you buy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
first off just let me say i think it's a bad idea. even with a high rez camera the composite feed will look terrible. it's a lot of money and parts for a lot of nothing you won't need in a few months.

that being said you just need a video interface

https://www.amazon.com/Crux-Interfacing-VIMTY-05-Activation-Vehicles/dp/B014UOXUG2

make sure to RTFM before you buy.
I agree... its quite a few parts and time for short term usage. Although, I'm thinking that if I temporarily install the camera inside the cab, then in the future, the camera could be moved to the front of the truck. Gotta hate slow days at work when the wheels start turning on new mods!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I agree... its quite a few parts and time for short term usage. Although, I'm thinking that if I temporarily install the camera inside the cab, then in the future, the camera could be moved to the front of the truck. Gotta hate slow days at work when the wheels start turning on new mods!
im a gadget nut. that being said i would use the mirror simply because the picture quality would be crap.

if you're hell bent on it, get a go pro, stick the mount on a rear window , angle towards tiny human and use the gopro app.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a family with three kids, we used the basic mirror on the headrest for the rear facing car-seat for the first 2 kids, the 3rd was on her own. I found the mirror to be a huge distraction while driving, and not worth the hassle. We kept them in there on trips so the passenger could see back there. Our oldest boy could smack around, err feed/entertain the other two as needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.