Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Tundra DC with a build date of 3/17. I see in attached video published 12/17 that the controller has two electric brake settings - one for greater than 5,000 lbs and one less than 5,000 lbs. The selection is made from the display. My controller only has one setting for electric brakes which is made from a hard-wired switch on the controller marked "Type". I had the update for the controller programming done per TSB-0231-17 last year but I just noticed this is different hardware and has the ability to select type based on trailer weight. Does anybody know the difference in the control logic between these two versions? Is there a technical description available? Is mine upgrade-able to the newer version which I am assuming was implemented with the 2018 model year?

Buckaroo

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's very interesting... I would also like that however I have serious doubts that our 2017s (and older) can be upgraded to that. I am still battling my setup. I have pulled my factory controller and installed a P3. While I like the additional features and control of the p3 it has not solved my problems as of yet. I may also have brake issues on my trailer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's very interesting... I would also like that however I have serious doubts that our 2017s (and older) can be upgraded to that. I am still battling my setup. I have pulled my factory controller and installed a P3. While I like the additional features and control of the p3 it has not solved my problems as of yet. I may also have brake issues on my trailer.

I do feel like I should be able to get more braking on the trailer - have my OEM controller set at 8 out of 10 currently. I recently adjusted the drum brakes on my TT and they needed it but did not seem to significantly change things. Incidentally, I have seen people talk about the gauge of wire being too small on the trailer end of the brake system. I am not sure about that - it seems like if that was causing issues, you should see voltage drop from the tongue to the wheel on the brake wire. Have not had a chance to investigate more.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grand Design 2670mk - UVW 6845 lbs

·
Registered
258 Posts
So yours is heavier than mine. I upgraded the Axles on mine from 2-3000 lb Axles to 3500 lb Axles recently. The brakes are also bigger... So I thought I'd have plenty of braking at this point. But I tried using the manual control with the setting on 10 doing some stops from 20/25 mph... Gentle stop, not the grab I'd expect. Then over the next couple trips I used the manual control when going down hills and I think I overheated them. Now they pulse somewhat and they are super grabby at low speed even with the gain down. Still not convinced that they are doing enough at higher speeds. I'm going to pull a drum and see how they look and try to adjust them. Might need to turn the drums. Grrr

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Dexter 4400 lb axles but the brake drums size is the same as the 3500 lb - 10" x 2-1/4". Regreased all the wheel bearings this spring and had to pull the brake drums - everything looked good but needed adjusment. If yours got hot, the grease might have been more likely to flow. Lots of folks have had issues with wheel bearing grease getting past the seal and contaminating the brake shoes....that can make them grabby.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's good to know... I'm hoping I haven't ruined them. Question though... When setting yours up did you do the manual full stop from 20 mph? How did it grab?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know... I'm hoping I haven't ruined them. Question though... When setting yours up did you do the manual full stop from 20 mph? How did it grab?

I cannot come close to locking up the tires on the trailer. In fact, it is a gradual decrease in speed when I hit the manual control - nothing abrupt. I should do the 20mph test and measure how long it takes to stop the rig with just the trailer manual brakes - is that what you did? It wouldn't suprise me it if was 30 ft.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes. I was following the instructions in the owners manual on pgs 243/244 where it tells you how to set the gain. ". Adj the gain to just below trailer wheel lockup". From 20/25 mph. Full manual lever. On level 10 from 20/25 mph it will slow down "relatively" quickly, but no where close to lockup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts