Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While deployed my wife was in an accident with my 2016 DC SR5. The repair shop tells me the damages are about $19k. I tell USAA and the repair shop that that amount of damage sounds like it should be totaled and the repair shop assures me that most of the damage is just cosmetic. I picked my truck up from the repair shop on 22 September and they give me the list of all the work and I asked about frame damage and they once again tell me it was mostly all cosmetic. I got someone to pull the carfax for me the day I picked the truck up on 9/22 and it listed on 8/27 that there was an accident and it detailed a side swipe. USAA pays me about $1600 for diminished value on the truck. Fast forward to today when I look into trading the truck in on a new 2018. The dealership runs the carfax and tells me that there is structural damage listed on the carfax and they can't certify it, so they can only offer me $15k which they know I won't accept because it's an insult. Without the structural damage listed on the carfax the offer would have been $30K. So here's the kicker..... The carfax the dealership pulled showed that structural damage was reported with a date of 9/11. The carfax that was pulled on 9/22 (the day I picked up the car) doesn't list the structural damage. It looks like the repair shop back dated the structural damage after I picked up the truck. I would have never accepted the truck with structural damage and it lists in the carfax that the safety and reliability may be compromised. It looks like the shop didn't want to total the truck because they wanted the $19K from USAA. I'm not sure who to be more upset with USAA or the repair shop. Anybody got any ideas about where I can go from here. The diminished value amount was obviously a joke.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like a possible lawsuit. The issue is not the low trade-in value. The bigger issue is that the report you received indicates the vehicle is safe. However, the repair shop back-dated a report that safety has been compromised AFTER you accepted the vehicle.

I suggest that you consult with a professional (perhaps a lawyer) on this. Make sure your consultant works quickly and does not string you along just to rack up hours.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Structural damage doesn't necessarily automatically mean a vehicle gets totalled. But if your detailed bill from the shop doesn't list any structural repairs, then there is definitely something going on.

I would start with USAA and ask for their help to resolve the issue. USAA has always been great with anything I've asked of them and if this shop is one of their preferred providers, they need to know about this shadiness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.