Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete newb at audio systems. Just installed some polk db651s in the front and rear doors of my crewmax. Now I'm looking for some advice/recommendations for a decent amp to go with the stock head unit and some dash speakers. I don't plan on installing a sub or aftermarket H/U. Trying to keep the stock look and on a budget. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How does it sound? Most would recommend starting with replacing the HU before the speakers. Do you have the JBL or non-JBL stock system?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the non JBl audio. There is some slight improvement with the new speakers, but not as much as I was hoping for. I did use dynamat and ensolite on the doors. Is there a budget amp out there that would work? thinking of running the door speakers on the amp and the dash speakers on the stock hu.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't replace the head unit unless you need features it doesn't have, a good 4 channel amp will make a ton of difference. I would suggest an audio control lc6 for a good line output converter between the factory head unit and the amp, unless your also going to run subs at some point the. You'll want the lc7i because it has the acubass feature.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the Boston Acoustics GT4100 and I am more than happy with it. It's overkill for the Polks but that that GT475 is a smoking deal at that price and will leave room power-wise for a later upgrade to components if you want to.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Reactions: tho98027

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
T600-4 Rockford Fosgate amp is a MUST !!! I have a Rockford Fosgate Tweeter Component if you're interest. I paid $120 for these tweeter for the dash but end up not using it. PM if interest

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I'll be researching it some more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Platinumb :
I have a 2010 RW DC with non-JBL, I think. I am fustrated with stock head unit as I have to turn it up a lot to hear it and the sound or power is weak ? Not much of an audio guy if you can't tell. I just want good clean decently loud sound. No subs. I don't want or need nav, blue tooth, dvd or cd's. I would like to use MP3 and sirius/xm so as you stated a new HU isn't probably what I need. So without starting another thread you mentioned above adding a 4 channel amp. Would upgrading my speakers and adding and amp get me what I'm looking for?

Could you give me a list of decent components?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Oz

I would do a set of 3 way components up front and if possible a 2 way in the back. Add a LC6 and a nice amp and it should sound pretty good! Also do some sound deadening. I am going to do Hertz components in my truck, and probably use Audison Amps.

elettromedia USA | Home

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Platinumb :
I have a 2010 RW DC with non-JBL, I think. I am fustrated with stock head unit as I have to turn it up a lot to hear it and the sound or power is weak ? Not much of an audio guy if you can't tell. I just want good clean decently loud sound. No subs. I don't want or need nav, blue tooth, dvd or cd's. I would like to use MP3 and sirius/xm so as you stated a new HU isn't probably what I need. So without starting another thread you mentioned above adding a 4 channel amp. Would upgrading my speakers and adding and amp get me what I'm looking for?

Could you give me a list of decent components?

Thanks
What kind of budget are you working with?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
3 way components are great if you want to spend the money, I am running focal 165vr3 in front and 165cvx in tge rear with a Rockford t600-4 amp and audio contol lc7i that's about 1600-2k worth of gear but sounds amazing, if you don't want to spend as much I have done quite a few tricks for customers with the Rockford t400-4 amp and t2 components in front with t1 Co ax in rear and it sounds very good for about 700.00. For the kine output converter I would use the lc7i instead of the 6 because it has acubass wich is a big help since the factory had unit rolls off the low frequency as the volume goes up acuvass alkows you to restore that. There are thousands of options let me know what your Price range is and If your planning on song the install or having a shop do it and I'll send you some links to products I would recommend in your Price range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
3 way components are great if you want to spend the money, I am running focal 165vr3 in front and 165cvx in tge rear with a Rockford t600-4 amp and audio contol lc7i that's about 1600-2k worth of gear but sounds amazing, if you don't want to spend as much I have done quite a few tricks for customers with the Rockford t400-4 amp and t2 components in front with t1 Co ax in rear and it sounds very good for about 700.00. For the kine output converter I would use the lc7i instead of the 6 because it has acubass wich is a big help since the factory had unit rolls off the low frequency as the volume goes up acuvass alkows you to restore that. There are thousands of options let me know what your Price range is and If your planning on song the install or having a shop do it and I'll send you some links to products I would recommend in your Price range.
Thanks for this reply! I've been lurking in a few threads, looking for the same info. I also want to keep my stock HU but I want to upgrade the speakers and add an amp and sub. I'll be installing this myself. I'm looking to spend around a grand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts