Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Installed the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS unit yesterday evening. Mch better than stock and even got the parking brake override relay installed and working correctly. Now my daughter can watch movies while traveling on long trips.

Got to say that the install in the Tundra is one of the easiest I have ever done. Very nice and the Metra dash kit matches up perfectly to the stock trim. I'm trying the bluetooth mic mounted up in the center dash area where the center speaker would be in the JBL system. Have talked to a few people with it there and no one has complained about not being able to hear me yet. Hopefully it works well there since its hidden.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to go with in the front doors and tweeters. Looking right now at the Speaker & Tweeter Mounts with Image Dynamics CTX65CS from Tacotunes.com for the front doors. Has anybody had any experiences with the Image dynamics? I know people talk a lot about his speaker mounts. Thats how I found these speakers while looking for his mounts. Just curious how good they are. I have an old amp that should power these for now. If I end up with a full system down the road with a sub. I'll probably look into an amp that can power everything at that point.

Also now reconsidering doing the sound deadening to the doors. Need to look at my choices and see what works well, but on the budget friendly side.

I should also note that for now I routed the usb cable to the glove box, but want to do a flush mount in one of the blanks in the dash. Just need to find the right cable. Have been doing some research and have seen a few options. Just haven't pulled the trigger in any of them yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I just ordered this HU and I was wondering what you did with the parking brake relay? How do you hook it up to the HU to be able to play movies while driving? Sorry I'm not good with audio electronics.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I ordered mine from Amazon as well. I'm going to install this in my new truck here shortly and will have to refresh my memory on how to hook it up. At the moment I don't remember and will read the thread from the link listed above.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Maybe someone can answer these..

I put the headunit in my 2013 and was going to hook up the Meastro Sw and was wondering if there was a way to hook the wires into the factory harness w/o having to splice or tap into the factory wires?

Also.. I ordered this Metra AX-TOYUSB-2 Cable for Toyota and Lexus Allows you to connect the factory USB port on select 2010-up Toyota vehicles to a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com and can't get it to fit on the back of the factory mount. Am I suppose to take the factory one apart for this to fit somehow? I tried prying it apart, but felt like I was going to break the thing.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have this unit as well I paid extra to have the steering wheel interface installed and the guys at the shop rigged the stock rear view camera to work as well!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
This is where i have my mike. My hyna says it sounds clear but not as much as the stock mike.

(Avh-x4500bt with appradio :)
I mounted my mike more in the middle above the rear view everyone says it sounds better. Maybe your to close the the door window?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Maybe someone can answer these..

I put the headunit in my 2013 and was going to hook up the Meastro Sw and was wondering if there was a way to hook the wires into the factory harness w/o having to splice or tap into the factory wires?

Also.. I ordered this Metra AX-TOYUSB-2 Cable for Toyota and Lexus Allows you to connect the factory USB port on select 2010-up Toyota vehicles to a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com and can't get it to fit on the back of the factory mount. Am I suppose to take the factory one apart for this to fit somehow? I tried prying it apart, but felt like I was going to break the thing.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Metra Online

the usb adapter would plug in at the radio harness not the actual port.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks!! I'll order that tonight. Wish I would have seen that earlier when I ordered the main unit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I found the thread where it says that I need to plug the harness in to the plug that goes into the Media Center ECM. That makes sense and I'll tear it all back apart when the harness for the meastro gets here Friday. Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Disregard this original post.. I was wrong about 6, 7, & 8. The connector will work with the factory harness. Just not the Maestro Sw unit itself. Will have to be connected to the new harness for the new Maestro module harness. (Original post: Just so others know... The kit above doesn't work with the with Maestro Sw. As much as I wish it did!!! It uses pins 5, 6, & 7 instead of 6, 7, & 8. Guess I'll be using the tap connectors to tie in the harness.)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Just so others know... The kit above doesn't work with the with Maestro Sw. As much as I wish it did!!! It uses pins 5, 6, & 7 instead of 6, 7, & 8. Guess I'll be using the tap connectors to tie in the harness.
you might want to look again. there are only wires in 6/7/8 on the truck. the aswc uses 6/7/8 as well. doesn't make sense that the harness would have wires in 5/6/7.

did you plug it in and see if the pinout differs?

if it does, all you need is a safety pin to remove and repin the harness.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yes I double checked a few times. Pin number five in the harness adapter is for a ground. I thought about trying to repin it and use the ground wire as the other wire I need in pin 8. I just didn't know how to do it. I may try to move it tonight. It also has the RCA white and red in the bottom of the harness. If I would use those I'm assuming it will be the same as using the aux input from Maestro Sw. I don't remember what pins they were off hand. So if I would just tape those off from the module and use the factory harness to control those. It should be the same thing.

Does anyone have the harness connector diagram that shows what the pins in it are for?

Also I couldnt figure out how in the worls to get the passenger side dash off to get to the multimedia ECU. The glovebox has changed from my 2007 and doesn't appear to come out like before. I will have to look at it more in the daylight. It was dark and I was operating with a flashlight. Probably missed the obvious and hopefully when I can see everything. It will make more sense!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You would have to cut off the plug for the Maestro and wire it up to the new plug for the Sw. They aren't interchangeable - which is ok to me. At least I still wouldn't have to cut or splice into the factory wiring.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
also if it will help you i can make a video showing you how to de-pin it even though i still don't see why you'd have to.

you mind shooting me a pic of the wire side of the harness? i only have the 28-pin ones at the shop.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Guess I should have waited till I got home this evening to say I checked a few times!! I was wrong and for whatever reason got the top and bottom wires in the harness crossed last night. Guess that what happens when you get in a hurry and then rush to try and get it fixed. They are pins 6, 7, & 8 on the harness, but here's what throws me off. I was looking at the bottom diagram and it was saying feed. So I was thinking it wasn't a ground, but when I look at the top diagram it says the black/white wire is a SWI ground feed (-) output. So it should work, but I think I will unpin the bottom wires for the RCA cables and use the aux input from the Maestro Sw modulet. I do appreciate you help with this as I've not done a steering wheel controls before and just don't want to screw up a factory harness on a newer truck.

Going by what you say, which is correct, and cutting off the end of the harness that plugs into the older Maestro unit. I should be able to wire this into the newer Maestro Sw harness and wire it up by plugging it into the factory harness.

My only other issue is getting to the Multimedia ECU for the USB connector. Hopefully when it's daylight and I can see everything. It won't be as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

Again, thanks for the help and making me re-examine this! I probably wouldn't have if you hadn't responded!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts