Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS unit yesterday evening. Mch better than stock and even got the parking brake override relay installed and working correctly. Now my daughter can watch movies while traveling on long trips.

Got to say that the install in the Tundra is one of the easiest I have ever done. Very nice and the Metra dash kit matches up perfectly to the stock trim. I'm trying the bluetooth mic mounted up in the center dash area where the center speaker would be in the JBL system. Have talked to a few people with it there and no one has complained about not being able to hear me yet. Hopefully it works well there since its hidden.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to go with in the front doors and tweeters. Looking right now at the Speaker & Tweeter Mounts with Image Dynamics CTX65CS from Tacotunes.com for the front doors. Has anybody had any experiences with the Image dynamics? I know people talk a lot about his speaker mounts. Thats how I found these speakers while looking for his mounts. Just curious how good they are. I have an old amp that should power these for now. If I end up with a full system down the road with a sub. I'll probably look into an amp that can power everything at that point.

Also now reconsidering doing the sound deadening to the doors. Need to look at my choices and see what works well, but on the budget friendly side.

I should also note that for now I routed the usb cable to the glove box, but want to do a flush mount in one of the blanks in the dash. Just need to find the right cable. Have been doing some research and have seen a few options. Just haven't pulled the trigger in any of them yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
looks good, I went with the cheaper Pioneer but still love it, especially with the pioneer sub I got to match, I haven't done the door speakers yet but its on my list

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used the metra kit too with zero problems. Very easy. I had heard a lot of them had issues in the corner with fit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, I just installed the same HU a few months ago. It really does make a big difference in sound quality.

The only weak link I found with the head unit is while making calls using Bluetooth. When the truck is at rest the sound quality is very good, but once I get moving, even with windows up, and AC/Heat off, people are telling me that they hear A LOT of road noise. The problem might be related to the MIC itself. The Pioneer mic from what I have read is not powered, like the ones that are currently installed on the newer Tundras'.

As far as speakers are concerned, the front doors are what create your whole sound stage. I went through two sets of speakers before finally going with Infinity Kappa's.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Love mine and it really brings the stock speakers to life. I placed my mic over my head clipped to the sun visor and no problems with sound.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
cdev30 That looks good.
I hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've been looking for A HU this one has all the options I was looking for.. But, I can't find what the start up time is.. Can you time it or do you already know? thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been looking for A HU this one has all the options I was looking for.. But, I can't find what the start up time is.. Can you time it or do you already know? thanks
No lag time that I have detected.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It takes a few seconds to start up, but by no means is it a long time. I'll have to try and pay attention in the morning. It's raining out and I'm not venturing out there at the moment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm looking into getting this same HU for my tundra as well. Did you guys that have this hook up the steering wheel controls? What adapter did you use and how does it all work? I see nobody had any complaints about it so I'm assuming everything works fine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
cdev30, are you streaming music via Bluetooth? Any lag when changing songs, etc?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cdev30, are you streaming music via Bluetooth? Any lag when changing songs, etc?
Sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner. I never did stream any music through the bluetooth off of my phone. I actually traded the truck in that I had it installed in and haven't gotten it installed in my new truck yet. Have put it off because I'll loose the factory bluetooth microphone, but looking to put it back in now.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have the same unit as the OP. No lag at all via Bluetooth. I did mount my mic up top next to the windshield clipped to the roof. I'll post a pic later. Gotta say I'm loving this unit

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
is there a way to use stock mic for hu?

·
Registered
80 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts