Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the OME rear shocks and the Coachbuilder +3 shackles today. I had all intentions on photographing and doing a walkthrough. The passenger side came apart flawlessly and I took photos up until I got to the drivers side. The drivers side shock came off easy but the damn lower shackle bolt would not come out. I bet I worked on that lower shackle for at least 2 hours. No lie.

I soaked it. I beat on it. Then I beat on it some more. I soaked it again and then beat on it some more. I finally got it by using come along and a ball joint fork and beating on it a bunch more. I even ended up busting the pressed bolts right out of the shackle. I can say that if this would have not happened It would have been an easy install. I'm guessing If all goes well you could have both things done including the carrier bearing drop done in 2 hours.

I watched Coachbuilders video twice before I started this project. It's an awesome tutorial. The shackles are bullet proof and came packaged insanely well. Thanks again for the shackles David. Also for anyone doing this that has a TRD sway bar disconnect the end links before starting. If you don't they will definitely hold up the leaf spring from coming down far enough to install the shackles. Figuered that one out the hard way. I also removed both rear tires and the spare tire for easy of access. Also I gained a little more than 1 1/2" of rear height.

Before pictures.....

Vise grips were used as a hold back in order to remove the top nut. After the top nut is removed you can compress the shock and remove the lower bolt and reinstall.

Comparison of new extended shocks to stock. Also a pic to show the proper washer and bushing configuration. (I hope. There were no instructions)......

Passenger side lower shackle bolt soaking. (Easy One).....

Shackle comparison including the broken stock shackle. U can see all the corrosion on the one bolt. (The Hard One)......

After Shots.......

· Registered
613 Posts
Looks great!

· Registered
36 Posts
Perfect stance, and that's a good looking truck! What tire and size are you running, are those the 295/70r18 Terra Grapplers?

I just installed the OME setup and I'm upgrading tires by the end of the week - you have the perfect look I'm going for.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind compliments. I have the rough country 3"spacer lift in front with one of the spacers left out of it. The rough country comes with 3 spacers to add. I am planning on getting the front ome 612 coil overs and shocks in the next month or so. The tires are 325/60/18 terra grapplers.

· Registered
1,206 Posts

· Premium Member
3,708 Posts
WoW thats a GOOD LOOKIN' Truck!!!

Happy to hear the stuck bolt didn't slow you down much :) Those fixed rubber bushings used in the leaf springs can be a pain. Excellent job on the install and write up. Really looks nice!

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks sweet! Truck is clean an shiny too.

You still have the stock leaf springs in the back, correct? How's the ride? Been thinking of that combo too.
Thank you. I did end up keeping the stock rear leaf springs. I really don't haul or tow a bunch of weight on a regular basis. So far the ride is quite different. Before the rear end seemed to bounce and hop over pot holes and concrete joints. The roads here is Wisconsin are crap. Now the ride in the rear is much smoother and more controlled so much that I can't wait to put the coil overs on the front. I think it's a good combo so far.

· Registered
249 Posts
That's good to hear.

Forgot to ask. Did you extend and move the brake lines? Curious if that is needed. I was a bit concerned about the travel of the rear axle. OME describes them as "extended travel" shocks, right. At least more travel than stock (setup for 2.5" of lift).

Is there need to move those brakelines?

OP or anyone else have any thoughts on this?

· Registered
355 Posts
Nait,

Did you have to do any mods to make the tires fit and what offset are you running?

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Looks great. Nice stance. Any way I could ask you to post measurements from ground to top center of the your wheel wells both frot and back. I'd like to know what your stance is cause I got that same set up only different size tires. I think my rake is too much. Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Seminole

· Premium Member
3,708 Posts
That's good to hear.

Forgot to ask. Did you extend and move the brake lines? Curious if that is needed. I was a bit concerned about the travel of the rear axle. OME describes them as "extended travel" shocks, right. At least more travel than stock (setup for 2.5" of lift).

A safe rule for the rear is to use a brake/abs drop kit when you're lifting 3" or more (in the rear) The OME kit includes brake/abs drop brackets when you use the full leaf pack. The OME full leaf pack provides 3" of lift. There is a chance when using the OME extended shock that the rear axle could travel beyond a safe point but not likely unless the factory leaf springs are really being pushed.

After you install the extended rear shock, jack the rear of the truck up from the tow hitch until the tires come off the ground. This is a good way to test the brake and ABS limits. You may need a few 2x4's or 4x4's to help between the hitch and jack pad. Hope this helps.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's good to hear.

I went out and took pics of the truck sitting and then with the jack under the rear fully extended. I think if I were to do any extreme off roading I would extend them just for piece of mind. For street and light off road I think it's fine. When I do the fronts I will be adding the rear brake line drop. In the pics that I lifted the rear off the ground it looks like the lines are maxed out but they are not. There is still play in the line.

Sitting on level ground.......

Rear tires off the ground.....

Sitting on level ground......

Rear tires off the ground.....

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nait,

Did you have to do any mods to make the tires fit and what offset are you running?
I am running 18x9 with a +14 offset. I removed the mud flaps and pushed in the front plastic inner fenders. I get a slight rub in reverse in full lock on the drivers side front fender well. Not enough for me to be concerned. I did not have to do any cab mount cutting.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks great. Nice stance. Any way I could ask you to post measurements from ground to top center of the your wheel wells both frot and back. I'd like to know what your stance is cause I got that same set up only different size tires. I think my rake is too much. Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Measured with a level and a stick ruler.....

Drivers (F)_____Passenger(F)
39.5"___________39.5"

Drivers (R)_____Passenger (R)
40.75"________41.375"

I don't know why the passenger side is 5/8" higher than the drivers side. Maybe this is normal. I didn't measure both sides before the rear lift so I do not know if this was from something I did during install or if it was this way from the factory.

· Administrator
7,615 Posts
Measured with a level and a stick ruler.....

Drivers (F)_____Passenger(F)
39.5"___________39.5"

Drivers (R)_____Passenger (R)
40.75"________41.375"

I don't know why the passenger side is 5/8" higher than the drivers side. Maybe this is normal. I didn't measure both sides before the rear lift so I do not know if this was from something I did during install or if it was this way from the factory.
I measured mine before my lift and there was a 1/2" higher on the passenger side as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.