Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed 6112s in late January of this year on my 2014 2WD SR5 DC.
Second setting from the bottom with 1 CB shim on each side.
That made the truck pretty much level.
Rear was about a .25 of an inch higher.

Put my Toytec shackles on today on the highest 1.5 setting.
Settings are either 1" or 1.5".
I'll put more install info in another (this one) thread.

It raised the rear exactly 1.5 inches.

Going to drive it awhile and see if I want to leave it or lower it .5 of an inch to the bottom setting.
I might just do that..

Rear before pic taken yesterday..

Rear after pic taken today..

My measurements are now from the bottom of my fender flares opening;
Front Left 38.8
Rear left 41.3

Front Right 39.1
Rear Right 41.3

Let it be known, I'm not a mechanic, and I get by with what I have.
I had the right tools to remove the stock shackle, socket and wrench..
I went into this knowing I didn't have a big enough fitted wrench but did have the sockets I needed.
I used a crescent wrench on the bolt and socket on the bolt.
Once I got the bolt tight, I didn't even need the crescent wrench.

I had to disconnect my rear sway bar to get the rear axle down low enough.

The rear spring still didn't drop enough for the new shackle and there was no way I was taking the 5160 shocks off.
I couldn't pull the spring down with one hand and feed the bolt thru the hole.

Looked around the garage and a spare piece of wood that looked about right.
I wedged that piece of wood between the spring and frame to where I could see light thru the hole with my flashlight.
Then I was able to slightly move the end of the spring and get the bolt lined up and in.

Worked perfectly.
Tightened my shackle bolts, lifted the differential and reinstalled my sway bar bolts, took the truck off the jack stands, re-tightened my shackle bolts, lifted the spare back into place, put up my tools, and done.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I had to use a block of wood as well when I put on the CB shackles on my last truck. The rear looks a little high. Thanks for posting the pics.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys..
Right now it pretty much has the stock rake I didn't like in the first place.

I think I'll drop it down a notch.
Maybe this weekend if I have time...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Did you do this without jacking up the rear of the truck?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.
So today. I'll put the shackles on the second setting, .5" lower.
Should take what, 30-45 minutes?
Of course not.

Jacked the truck up, put on jack stands, disconnected the sway bar, and took the load off the differential.

Pulled the frame bolt, time to remove the washers Toytec uses on the frame bolts.
Not happening, I guess they got pressed into place when I installed them...

I had to remove the shackles, put them in a vise, and hammer those washers out with a screwdriver and a hammer, one at a time.

So, I got them out, reinstalled the shackles, and all is well.
I should have used this setting in the first place.

Got too dark to take decent pics..
How it sits now...

Before at the top setting..

Looks the same in the pics, looks better in person.

I had to correct my first measurements.
Had the digital measure device on the wrong setting.:

Truck now sits,
Left Front 38.8
Left Rear 40.7

Right Front 39.1
Right Rear 40.8

Moral of my story;
Try to install the right setting the first time when using Toytec shackles..;)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Now that looks good!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
What did you end up torquing the shackle bolts down to?
Main reason why I ask this is I believe the instructions from Toytec said to torque them down to 85-90 ft lbs. I did so and boy did the back end of my Tundy squeak!! Stepping into the truck, stepping down from the truck, going out of the driveway, pulling up into the driveway, even pulling out of a parking space and driving slowly out of parking lots it made a bad rickety squeak that drove me nuts!

Out of frustration I white lithium'ed just about every joint on the back suspension (maybe also a good suggestion would be to also lube up the shackle bushings while you're back there). The fix didn't come until I eased the nuts off the shackles and the squeak went away. But now, not sure if I have them properly torqued? What did anyone else torque theirs to?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Main reason why I ask this is I believe the instructions from Toytec said to torque them down to 85-90 ft lbs. I did so and boy did the back end of my Tundy squeak!! Stepping into the truck, stepping down from the truck, going out of the driveway, pulling up into the driveway, even pulling out of a parking space and driving slowly out of parking lots it made a bad rickety squeak that drove me nuts!

Out of frustration I white lithium'ed just about every joint on the back suspension (maybe also a good suggestion would be to also lube up the shackle bushings while you're back there). The fix didn't come until I eased the nuts off the shackles and the squeak went away. But now, not sure if I have them properly torqued? What did anyone else torque theirs to?
I wouldn't even think of installing the shackle bushings without lube....factory torque for shackles is 77ft lbs. I believe you're supposed to just make sure with poly bushings that you use a lithium based grease. A petroleum based grease will eat the rubber

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you do the zero point calibration? If not, have you had any issues with the VSC kicking in with the shackles at either the 1" or 1.5" settings?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you do the zero point calibration? If not, have you had any issues with the VSC kicking in with the shackles at either the 1" or 1.5" settings?
No, and no issues.

Reactions: CoNative

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yup I did the same thing, went from first setting to second dropped my rear over half an inch and like the way it is more level now. I am sure you know but you cannot use the lowest setting as it will hit your frame. Not sure if you have this issue but there was a small bolt on my passenger side that was rubbing on the shackle. It was making a hideous squeaking noise, bolt was coming from the bed portion of the bed. Had to grind down the bolt a bit and now no more rubbing and noise.

Ok.
So today. I'll put the shackles on the second setting, .5" lower.
Should take what, 30-45 minutes?
Of course not.

Jacked the truck up, put on jack stands, disconnected the sway bar, and took the load off the differential.

Pulled the frame bolt, time to remove the washers Toytec uses on the frame bolts.
Not happening, I guess they got pressed into place when I installed them...

I had to remove the shackles, put them in a vise, and hammer those washers out with a screwdriver and a hammer, one at a time.

So, I got them out, reinstalled the shackles, and all is well.
I should have used this setting in the first place.

Got too dark to take decent pics..
How it sits now...

Before at the top setting..

Looks the same in the pics, looks better in person.

I had to correct my first measurements.
Had the digital measure device on the wrong setting.:

Truck now sits,
Left Front 38.8
Left Rear 40.7

Right Front 39.1
Right Rear 40.8

Moral of my story;
Try to install the right setting the first time when using Toytec shackles..;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
i had the same issue drove me crazy, it might be what happened to me. check to see if there is a small bolt coming out from your bed area that hits the top of your shackle on the passenger side. mine made noise every bump, every time i braked and so on. i thought it was the torquing of the bolts but it wasn't for me. i even called toytec and they said just torque to factory specs. i greased up the bushings that i bought from toytec as well. it was the bolt from the truck bed that was rubbing shaved it down and now no noise. fyi it's just the passenger side, driver side there is no bolt coming down so no rub there, hope this helps. my shackles are set on the second setting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts