Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I see automobile TV commercials promoting their brand saying "award in highest initial quality" what does that mean? A particular make or model has great quality until you drive it off the lot, then it falls apart on you? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Who's opinion are you going to listen to?

We all like to read, listen to, and quote the reviews and articles that support our beliefs and notions. I am as guilty as anyone.

I read the article linked above and it makes some good points but misses the main one.

Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken (they always do here at TT;)) but I am pretty certain there is only one single source of product/consumer information that does not accept sponsors or advertising. That is Consumer Reports. Advertising corrupts product reviews as certainly as campaign donations corrupt politicians.

Consumer Reports "awards" and ratings are based on 1000's of surveys from actual users and cover the range from efficiency, reliability, initial cost, maintenance, comfort, and much more. When the product is new they have less historical data and will tell you so. If you are not familiar with them, look them up with a search. We have been members for decades and make all major purchases based on the ratings.

FYI, Tundra's are the only full size pick-up to ever receive their "reliable" rating. (they think Honda's Ridgeline is a pickup truck, ha ha)

just my .02

Reactions: ColoradoTJ

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I would agree that Consumer Reports is one of the best. Only problem with them, is when challenged (sued) they back off and drop the rating. At least they hang their balls out there though.

Initial Quality means nothing to me. Show me 5 year or 100K mile quality for my blessing. In the next week I will roll 61000 miles on my 12' CM, I purchase the truck in April 13' with 4004 miles on the odometer. No issues to date other than wear items like windshields, windshield wipers, tires, oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts