Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
No. The lsd works through utilizing the brakes to slow down the wheel which is moving, and send rotational force through the open diff to the other side.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts

On a 2007, it is not built into the rear diff... There is no tag for that reason...

·
Registered
737 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsQdRVc0zA

On a 2007, it is not built into the rear diff... There is no tag for that reason...
What about my 2018 ?

Same ABS function / to simulate LSD ?
PS. All my dodge ram cummins had mechanical LSD and they really dont work that well , so if mother Toyota wants to do it with the ABS system its fine and who know may even work better !

Thank you

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
What about my 2018 ?

Same ABS function / to simulate LSD ?
PS. All my dodge ram cummins had mechanical LSD and they really dont work that well , so if mother Toyota wants to do it with the ABS system its fine and who know may even work better !

Thank you
It should be the same, it is on my 2017. I never read they changed to a mechanical limited slip/locker.

I can't say the abs version works better, but it does actually work.

An open diff will transfer power to the wheel with the least resistance (for the most part). The brakes activate when it detects a difference of enough % in wheel speed, slows the faster wheel. This makes the wheel the most resistance try to catch up... Basically.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It should be the same, it is on my 2017. I never read they changed to a mechanical limited slip/locker.

I can't say the abs version works better, but it does actually work.

An open diff will transfer power to the wheel with the least resistance (for the most part). The brakes activate when it detects a difference of enough % in wheel speed, slows the faster wheel. This makes the wheel the most resistance try to catch up... Basically.
Yep , and it might work better ( i hope ) than the dodge ram cummins Mechanical LSD . Ive has SEVERAL ( older dana and the newer AAM ) and to be honest they do not work great.

thank you for the info sir

24hrsparkey

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a 1980 Toyota and had to use 4WD to make it up the gravel road from my house to the highway. After I bought a Chevy Blazer with rear LSD differential I could go up the same road in 2WD. I was more than a little impressed. Toyota is saying they provide limited slip but it is a lie. It is actually like "traction control" that has been on many cars for many years and employed to help with traction on snow in 2WD. If Toyota was being honest (what a concept) they woud call it traction control.

I have been considering buying a Tundra but have to consider the cost of adding a locking differential and any possible warranty problems with a third party product. It is safer to buy a Ram where this is a factory option.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a 1980 Toyota and had to use 4WD to make it up the gravel road from my house to the highway. After I bought a Chevy Blazer with rear LSD differential I could go up the same road in 2WD. I was more than a little impressed. Toyota is saying they provide limited slip but it is a lie. It is actually like "traction control" that has been on many cars for many years and employed to help with traction on snow in 2WD. If Toyota was being honest (what a concept) they woud call it traction control.

I have been considering buying a Tundra but have to consider the cost of adding a locking differential and any possible warranty problems with a third party product. It is safer to buy a Ram where this is a factory option.

It’s a lsd. It limits the slip of the tires.
. Go buy a ram with a locker.

·
Registered
737 Posts

The Dodge will not need LSD going to the service dept , they are usually on paved roads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts