Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why resurrecting an old thread is such a problem?

I figure I'll look for a reply to this in about 13 years. If you're new to forums, it's replies like THIS ONE that help teach you the etiquette surrounding your mistake. This isn't a Facebook Memory. You don't have to muddy up the search features and defeat the Alert and New functions for everyone else... When 4 of your 5 existing posts are on threads over 5 yrs old (and one is on a 13yr old convo), you're using the forum wrong. It IS a free country. There ISN'T a rule against it. You're right in those regards. But you're not right saying that this is simply about my feelings. It's about the functionality of the site, as explained by the link, above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so can you increase your towing capacity with bolts on's? The answer in short is no. The reason this is the answer, primarily, is because of the frame design. You can install different shocks, maybe an airbag system or whatever, even different hitch styles and all you are doing is installing towing comfort and anti sway aids. When manufactured, until the most current year, 2022, Toyota used a mostly, unboxed frame. The new frame is fully boxed and strengthened but is still only rates the truck to pull 12K. As far as anything before this one would have to fully box your frame or do a complete frame swap as well as take into consideration your axle tube flex before failure and wheel bearing strength just in the effort to safely pull heavier with a half ton truck. Then you would have to take into consideration the longevity of the axle gears, driveshaft strength and the ability of the transmission to maintain pulling a heavier load over time without overheating or complete failure. Even then you will still be restricted by the manufacturer specs on paper regardless of the amount of work you put in because that is what the law looks at. So in truth lets face it, after all that work and money it would defiantly be more cost effective and a lot less headache to just buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. sorry man. I have been trying to get more out of my tundra for years, I have dropped a lot of money and spent a lot of time doing everything I can think of and this is these are the conclusions that I have come to.....the hardheaded and expensive way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, so can you increase your towing capacity with bolts on's? The answer in short is no. The reason this is the answer, primarily, is because of the frame design. You can install different shocks, maybe an airbag system or whatever, even different hitch styles and all you are doing is installing towing comfort and anti sway aids. When manufactured, until the most current year, 2022, Toyota used a mostly, unboxed frame. The new frame is fully boxed and strengthened but is still only rates the truck to pull 12K. As far as anything before this one would have to fully box your frame or do a complete frame swap as well as take into consideration your axle tube flex before failure and wheel bearing strength just in the effort to safely pull heavier with a half ton truck. Then you would have to take into consideration the longevity of the axle gears, driveshaft strength and the ability of the transmission to maintain pulling a heavier load over time without overheating or complete failure. Even then you will still be restricted by the manufacturer specs on paper regardless of the amount of work you put in because that is what the law looks at. So in truth lets face it, after all that work and money it would defiantly be more cost effective and a lot less headache to just buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. sorry man. I have been trying to get more out of my tundra for years, I have dropped a lot of money and spent a lot of time doing everything I can think of and this is these are the conclusions that I have come to.....the hardheaded and expensive way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I reply on posts that are five years old also. I just don't realize how old the thread is until after my comment. At least he's trying like me. I'm not smart about forms but maybe it will help someone some other day or year for people like us lol. I love these tundra forms and also love my tundra more. It's like a love/hate relationship lol

21 - 25 of 25 Posts