Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to increase their towing capacity? I'm not talking about trying to pull a 5th wheel or anything, just increasing it by a grand or so. I'm looking at purchasing a camping trailer. My max GVW is 6500, and I'm seeing 500lb tongue weight on the bumper.

Do you think it would be as easy as putting heavy duty shocks and upgrading brakes?

I've got a 2005, 4 Door TRD with 2.5" lift and leveling kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
common question, the answer is simply no, it is set from the manufacturer. Any add ons you do may help improve the towing experience, but so far the numbers you give don't really seem to be overly heavy, but need the GVW of the trailer to answer any more

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure why anyone would want to increase towing capacity, from a liability stand point it makes no sense. If you're overloaded by your max weight and get into an accident who do you think will be at fault no matter who caused it. Not to mention your insurance will more than likely not cover you for being overloaded. As said above there are ways to help improve towing but to increase capacity, not a good idea. Remember it's more then brakes and suspension that hold the weight of loads, you have to consider the extra strain on everything, tires/wheels, frame, transmission, engine, etc.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Specs on the trailer I'm looking at: Starcraft AR-One MAXX 26BH.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,280
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 500
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 6,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,220

My truck should pull this with no problems...(minus the hit in gas). I was just wondering if anyone was able to successfully upgrade their trucks to pull a couple hundred extra pounds if need be.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Its a 1/2 ton truck. Need more capacity buy a bigger truck its pretty simple. Any modifications to the suspension could come back and bite you if you are in an accident pulling or hauling something heavier than the truck was designed for.
seems like a broken record around here lately eh?:)

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
seems like a broken record around here lately eh?:)
Seems to be, maybe we should sticky it to the top of the page LOL.

Seems if Toyota made a 3/4 or 1 ton truck they'd have a lot of sales :). I'd personally upgrade to a 1 ton if they had them, sell my current tundra and buy a car for around town and have the truck for my weekend jobs.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Need more information about your truck. Does it have a factory installed towing package (transmission cooler/factory installed 2" receiver)? If not, then towing that much weight without a transmission cooler is just asking for trouble. Do you have the 4.7L V8? Look for the truck's Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR), which is truck + trailer.

If you have a 2005 Tundra 4.7L with tow package, then you'll be right at max after calculating in the family, gear, water, etc. I'd consider a smaller trailer or buy a 5.7L with tow package.

Reactions: tundra64d

·
Registered
157 Posts
To upgrade your towing, these things will help with making the truck more comfortable towing.
1) upgrade your factory hitch to a class V or a good quality class IV. Class IV is rated for 10k and V rated for 12k. Upgrade to a weight distribution hitch. The ball hight is adjustable so when your trailer is fully loaded you can have everything level.

2) Since you have everything loaded take your truck and trailer to the scales. Get good weights taken. Write it down. Know your numbers. You don't want to go beyond factory set numbers.

3) Air bags for the rear of the truck.

4) Brakes on the trailer is a good place to upgrade. From drum brakes go to disk brakes. If it is a dual axial trailer have brakes on all four tires. Upgrade from surge brakes to electric over hydraulic. Good brand for trailer coupler is Tittan and brakes are Zodiak. Brakes that come standard on trailers are usually low end.

5) Spair tire.

6) Drive at no peak hours. I know around here in southern Ma. 7:00-10:00 and 16:00-19:00 our highways are race tracks. People cut in front then slam on the brakes. Speeds are 15-25 miles over the limit. Pick your battles.

7) a lazer temp gage. Keep an eye on the temp of your bearing on the trailer. If the start to show temp rise you have a repack/ replacement bearing job in your very close future. Bearing buddy's help with keeping greese loaded in your hubs. Many people love them but I have never used them. Mine are oil bath.

8) tow mirrors.

9) upgrade your fuel take to a larger after market one. The 49 gallon take only adds 200lbs when full compared to factory.

10) GPS, Fast Pass, DVD player for kids,

I have been towing for many years. Currently we have a 8744lb boat trailer loaded. We have a 30' toy hauler with 8000 lb of toy inside. A 26' flat bead and a snow Mobil trailer with 4 machines. We cover 6-10 k a year with trailers in tow. What has my tundra received? Most everything on this list. None of these things will make your legal tow capacity go up. These thing will make a tremendous difference in your towing comfort..... Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
is it just the picture or does it look like the whole bed is sagging down away from the cab?

kinda looks like its going to break in half?

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
nah, I see what you're saying, optical illusion:) That pic is without the weight distribution hitch too. The truck is nearly level with it.

I wish I had helper springs but don't want the rear end to be too stiff when not towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlackSnowSlide,
Thanks for your input. What you said makes lots of sense.

My truck is a 2005 4.7L, with a stock tow package. I went to camping world to look at trailers, and they said my max weight was 6500lbs, and would not sell me a trailer that was over 80% of that weight. (so nothing over 5200) Which leave quite a bit of weight for people, gear, and water.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I went to camping world to look at trailers, and they said my max weight was 6500lbs, and would not sell me a trailer that was over 80% of that weight. (so nothing over 5200) Which leave quite a bit of weight for people, gear, and water.
Not many dealers do that, sounds like you found a good one!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Never understood getting a truck and not getting the larger motor and towing capacity. Even if you don't use it right away it is there. If you go the smaller cheaper route you end up spending the money you would have and more trying to "upgrade" to get the towing capacity you could have had. AND...when you have spent all of the money you think you need to to get "upgraded" towing capacity, your still out of specs because the vehicle was not designed that way. Save yourself hassle and money not well spent....suck it up and get a truck that will do the job you need it to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its a 1/2 ton truck. Need more capacity buy a bigger truck its pretty simple. Any modifications to the suspension could come back and bite you if you are in an accident pulling or hauling something heavier than the truck was designed for.
Toyota does not make a bigger truck. For some of us there is no other option, unless were willing to buy worthless junk. I am certain were better off abusing a toyota than towing within means using an american made (not made in america) hunk of garbage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts