Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What the best tips and mods you have done to get the best fuel economy?

Yes, this is serious. Now understand, I know what I got into when I bought my truck, and I absolutely love it, but just like some people are all about horsepower or looks or audio, I like to brag about fuel economy/efficiency. Obviously I'm not shooting for Honda Insight levels (I averaged 63mpg over a 3 year lease), but I enjoy surprising people about getting surprisingly higher than normal fuel economy. I've only filled up once, but so far I'm around 14.6mpg... in a 2007 Tundra CM 4x4 (stock), with 2" level kit and 275/65r18 Toyo A/T tires.

I looked around and saw a poll taken, but couldn't find a compiled list of things people have done to get better MPGs, so here it is - lay it on meh! I'll update the modification here as they come:

Modifications (and estimated improvement):
  1. Lower truck
  2. Low Rolling Resistance Tires
  3. Weight Reduction
  4. Remove Tow Mirrors

·
Registered
585 Posts
If your after fuel economy, strip the 2” lift off and the A/T tires. No real magic wand for fuel economy on these trucks besides trying to keep your foot out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Remove the 2" lift and lower the truck instead.
Remove the A/T tires and put narrower street tires on instead (255/70/18 for example)
Pump the tires up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.
Remove tow mirrors (if equipped) and install regular ones.

Do a weight reduction:
Remove factory metal front and rear bumpers (if equipped) and install sport package plastic bumpers.
Remove spare tire, hitch, all skid plates, engine cover, tow hooks, jack and tools, mud flaps etc.
Swap the battery for a smaller size one.

And, most importantly, tape a block of wood under the gas pedal that will prevent you from pressing it past 50%

Reactions: ACDan

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Add 4 or 5 gallons of water to the tank every time you fill up, thus less gas burned per mile.
This is so true.

I also know if you use Twitter out can tweet your truck into gas savings mode via the hashtag #gassavingscheapmanmode . What else will these youngster techy kids come up with?

·
Bah! Humbug!
181 Posts
Without a doubt the best mod for increased MPG is the FF mod

yeah you will suffer some HP, but fuel economy goes way up

·
Registered
326 Posts
ballsy question... you will prob get a lot of "interesting" answers... There are no secret tricks or special mods.

Take out the 2 inch lift. this does nothing but hurt mpg.
put smaller, low rolling resistance tires on the truck. 255/70/18 comes stock on the base models.
keep up on basic maintenance. Fluids, filters, ect.
If you can remove any excess weight, it wont hurt. But it is not worth removing the spare tire and tools. for every 100 pounds removed, you will see 0.5 mpg gain at best.

with all of this done, I would estimate about 2 mpg improvement. I don't think there is any way to average more than 17.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Based on the logic consensus, lower equals bigass savings, therefore thus and so forth if I add weight my truck lowers and cha ching..... Then add the fact that I roll on 75psi in my tires, can you say lotto? I can.

Reactions: RIjon

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I got to be...SUBBED for this! :D:D:D

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dude, you have got to think outside the box on this mileage question.

To wit, MORE IS LESS!!! SUPERCHARGING!!! I once had a POS oldsmobile...that sob would not come close to the window sticker mileage ratings unless it was pushed out the back of a C-130 at 30,000 ft. I actually looked at supercharging before I settled on the obvious solution. What I discovered was that it would use the same amount of gasoline, but with twice as much air, and...It won't help your mileage, but it WILL get you there twice as fast! After all, time is money, right?...screw the mileage, think in terms of "How much is my time worth!!! :D

·
Bah! Humbug!
181 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm scavenging here, but I see lower the truck, lower rolling resistance tires, and no fat chicks... Understand this isn't about saving money, and it's not about installing an electric prius motor. This is about the ability to have a number to be proud of. It's about finding harmony among the different mechanics that all culmanate into a truck... that gets 5+ better mpg than stock.

God d%$^#t guys. If you want a bigger d!ck you could just get a magnifying glass, if you want more horsepower you can latch a few extra horses https://goo.gl/images/HjF2qz, is there really no one who has honestly focused on getting better MPGs?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.