Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm pretty sure most mods do little to nothing with improving mileage. I use a simple drop in K&N that boasts increased air flow. I imagine it has better flow, but mileage is the same. I only bought it because it's reusable.

Big arse V8 = not great on gas.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
By letting in more dirt.

I've read these reports as well. If I were in dusty/off road conditions, I wouldn't consider a reusable drop in oil type filter. No argument there.

I've used these filters in many motorcycles with no damage to valve train or cylinders when rebuild time came. If my driving conditions change, I'll be putting stock paper filter back in, no question.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was thinking of getting a TRD intake as well. Sounds like I would be better off taking a cold shower and ripping up hundred dollar bills. Well there no other choice but to buy a Super Charger:D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Though these filters are less restrictive when clean, the benefit at normal cruising speeds is minuscule. At WOT you should see a small power increase, but I seriously doubt that MPGs would go up.

You have to clean these things way more often than you need to replace a paper filter.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Though these filters are less restrictive when clean, the benefit at normal cruising speeds is minuscule. At WOT you should see a small power increase, but I seriously doubt that MPGs would go up.
I've noticed zero MPG gains on any vehicle that I used these filters on. On motorcycles, I only saw HP gains when I upgraded the entire intake, a good 2 into 1 exhaust, and a proper dyno tune. I got better results when doing cam upgrades. But, these iForce engines are decades more advanced than any Harley.

It's just a convenience thing. I can clean and re-oil them in my sleep after over twenty years of using them. That's really the only reason I use them. I have yet to see significant MPG gains on a Tundra mod. Even a turbo doesn't do that much. The iForce 5.7 is a beast of a motor. Pretty sure Toyota did what could be done in terms of mileage (I think I just said what someone else already said, duh!). Hence why other brands mess with cylinder deactivation and other flaky technologies. Glad Toyota hasn't ruined the Tundra with that nonsense.

Edit: I'm not against stock paper. When cleaning time comes, if I notice any evidence that the K&N is dirtying up the rest of the intake, I'll ditch it immediately.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I was thinking of getting a TRD intake as well. Sounds like I would be better off taking a cold shower and ripping up hundred dollar bills. Well there no other choice but to buy a Super Charger:D
Check out TundraDude34 on youtube. He recently put a Magnison (spelling?) on his 17 Platinum. He did a mileage test in a couple of different situations. The Tundra display said he was like 21MPG, but hand calculating (which he does on camera) showed close to stock readings. No significant gains in mileage and now he has to run premium gas. He knew most of this going in, so no big deal.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Not you, but lots of people claim big MPG gains with simple mods and tuning kits... which seems impossible.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not you, but lots of people claim big MPG gains with simple mods and tuning kits... which seems impossible.
Agreed. I'm not buying it either. A mod like a cold air intake is good if you want a nice roar under the hood. Otherwise, I'm not believing any significant increases are possible. Or at least not easily possible.

Nothing wrong with looking into it if you're new to Tundra, but I wouldn't get my hopes up! We knew what we were getting in to. I'll take the truck as is. A beast.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The Tundra display said he was like 21MPG, but hand calculating (which he does on camera) showed close to stock readings. No significant gains in mileage and now he has to run premium gas.
I can believe those SCs would screw up the MPG calculator, but on a NA engine the computers should at least be consistent if not accurate.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know Tundra dude videos well. I was thinking HP and throttle responce not mpg. Have to convince the wife on Super Charger. It was funny that the computer told Tundra dude he was getting 22mpg in reality he was getting 16mpg. Look on his face was priceless, in fact I was a bit dumbfounded to.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know Tundra dude videos well. I was thinking HP and throttle responce not mpg. Have to convince the wife on Super Charger. It was funny that the computer told Tundra dude he was getting 22mpg in reality he was getting 16mpg. Look on his face was priceless, in fact I was a bit dumbfounded to.
Good ole TundraDude34. I found him on youtube earlier this year. Initially I thought "Ugh what the?" It didn't take long for me to appreciate him. He's just a dude obsessed with his Tundra and he's willing to spend insane amounts of money. On top of that, he's sharing his experiences with us. No claims to be an expert or know more than anyone else.

I've asked him about TundraTalk. He's a member here, but I get the feeling he was chased off by trolls. Don't quote me, he didn't actually say anything except that he's not actively on the forums. He tries to keep it positive.

I forgot he was sort of stunned when he figured out how wrong the Tundra MPG calc was. I believe after he thought about it, hey, what can ya do. At least he didn't lose over all MPG's. Seems like a good dude.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.