Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been looking at Tundras and have pretty much settled on a 5.7L double cab 4x4 - and the only other thing I care about is the bench seat/ steering-column shifter. I can use the floor space, and bench is better for large dogs.

Dealers here in the southeast keep telling me this is impossible in the SR5 - but the bucket seats are part of the SR5 "upgrade package" - not the SR5 "mandatory package." The website lets me "build" it they way I prefer, but I suppose it's not the best website. Is there no way to get one off the line w/o the bucket seats? Are they still building 2017s?

I don't really care much b/t the SR and the SR5 [the sliding rear window is a bit of a loss] - but is there any other reason not to get the SR? Everything I need seems to be included in the base model, and I tend to drive things til they die, so trade-in isn't too much a consideration.

I had been looking at used, but 2014+ hold their value so well, and we're coming up on Sept., that I'm only being quoted a couple thousand dollars additional for a new 2017 over a 30k-mi 2014. I'm in Gulf Coast Fla, shopping Florida mostly so far, but I'm open to buying anywhere - and I'll be towing a small TT across Canada, hence the upgrade to the big 4x4.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
To start, the 17's are pretty much done being built. We have already started seeing allocations for 2018's now. You would have an easier time finding a unicorn in the wild than finding a SR5 with a bench seat sitting on any lot. Nearly everything above the SR trim will come with the upgrade package. That being said, you can definitely get one built if you wait the time. I had a couple that were built in this configuration last year. Whether they continue it being an option for 2018, who knows. Best of luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 2014 SR with the bench and column shift. The extra space, and the extra seat has been useful for me. The things that are lacking on the SR are: the intermittent wipers, but these can be installed for about $100 in parts from the dealer. No key fob with lock / unlock button. I had an agreement with my dealer that they would install everything for the key fob included in my purchase. And on the regular cab (2 door) there are no power locks I believe... I got a double cab and it has them. every thing else I wanted came standard in the SR.

fun fact: the "bench" seat is actually the same driver and passenger "bucket" seats, with a middle seat installed, instead of the console.

There may be none of the specific truck you want on dealer lots, but I see no reason why you would not be able to order the truck how you want it.

Reactions: kcc138

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both - at least I'm not nuts; one salesperson was pretty firm about my lack of competence... The 2017s do have remote keyless, but still only the 2-speed wipers. I had been wondering about the "benchness" of the bench; I test drove one but didn't photo the interior very well, but I thought I remembered the two door seats slid forward independently.

Re: building one, could I still get a 2017, do you think? It may not be worth it for the small differences b/t the SR and the un-upgraded SR5, except I'd have a functioning rear window - and I could get something other than white... it would come down to willingness to wait, and pricing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I picked up my 2014 a month ago, they had two DC SR5/bench seat models sitting next to it. However they were used, 2015 and 2013 IIRC. I drive a crewmax sr5 TRD offroad bench seat at work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all -

I'm going with the 5.7L SR 4x4; I don't really need any of the upgrades, and no one seems to excited about trying to order me a column-shift 2017 at the moment - I did find a couple in Florida [I think], with various dealer-selected add-ons. (Who wants carpet mats?)

The price seems pretty good - considerably better than a 2015 SR5 that was off-lot also. I've never had a new vehicle... now I need to add some rails, a locking cover, and some real mats for my shiny white fleet-looking truck. Suggestions welcome - and thanks again,

Reactions: ACDan

·
Registered
111 Posts
Too bad you’re across the continent! There’s a bench seat SR Tundra in stock close to Portland, OR. I can’t tell if it’s a column shift. Would that be all that is available if it has a bench seat? Fly out, visit the beautiful PNW, and drive it home! Great way to break in a new truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly where I'm aiming to take mine - Olympic NP is gorgeous! I do think the bench and column shift are an indivisible pair; that ad is exactly what I'm getting except the 5.7 b/c, when buying a giant truck, get the giant engine, right?

I'm 5'2" so this double cab is pretty exciting / hilarious to drive. My heels hit the ground pretty frequently in the 2017 [not so in a friend's 2011 same exact configuration].

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
That's exactly where I'm aiming to take mine - Olympic NP is gorgeous! I do think the bench and column shift are an indivisible pair; that ad is exactly what I'm getting except the 5.7 b/c, when buying a giant truck, get the giant engine, right?

I'm 5'2" so this double cab is pretty exciting / hilarious to drive. My heels hit the ground pretty frequently in the 2017 [not so in a friend's 2011 same exact configuration].
You won't regret the 5.7. Bench seat and column shift are a plus in my opinion. The novelty still hasn't worn off in terms of enjoyment of driving. Granted, I have a long bed, so the length is kind of stupid ;)

Reactions: kcc138
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.