Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Soon you will have something to tame the Tail of the Dragon. It was a fun ride back in my younger days.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Haha, no no. Renting a full size pickup for 60 bucks and throwing it in the bed and hauling ass on the way back.

Its sad when you own a truck but have to rent a truck to do a trucks job. lol.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Thanks man! The boat sold so I want a new toy. :)

@bhertz82 Interstate Cycle. It's in Morrisville NC.

You ever make it down here. shoot me a PM! If I'm in the country, then Ill try and meet up.
Will do.

They have a nice website! That red R1 they have is calling my name!

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Haha, no no. Renting a full size pickup for 60 bucks and throwing it in the bed and hauling ass on the way back.

Its sad when you own a truck but have to rent a truck to do a trucks job. lol.
If I had a few days I would have loaned you my maxxtow motorcycle rack. Attach to truck, roll bike into place. A couple straps for peace of mind on the bars and no worries. You may be able to find one or similar at the dealer. Maybe they will lend you one. Better than strapping and taking a chance on breaking the plastics.

Best of luck, it's good when someone's plan comes together.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
@dibblejr You live anywhere even near me? My truck sits so high you think that would work lol?

Na I'll be ok. I've moved several bikes int he back of trucks. Do 2 straps around the handle bars to the bed. and 2 straps to the rear foot pegs to the the truck. turns out pretty safe. I'll do 4 up front and 2 in the rear to be extra safe.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
@dibblejr You live anywhere even near me? My truck sits so high you think that would work lol?

Na I'll be ok. I've moved several bikes int he back of trucks. Do 2 straps around the handle bars to the bed. and 2 straps to the rear foot pegs to the the truck. turns out pretty safe. I'll do 4 up front and 2 in the rear to be extra safe.
Charleston is about 6 hours from Bham. The system I have costs about $150 or so these days.

Pit bull here in AL also makes a great mfg specific restraint. IMO they are the best. I had one for my Ducati and Honda but when I got rid of the bikes they went with. Now I have the one for anyone who needs it to use. The pitot bull system is about $400 and no straps at all required.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Still a fun ride if you hit it on weekdays, its a parade of stupidity on the weekends
Problem with the weekends used to be that everyone would get there, not for the week or nervous, the slow people will either get ran over or fuk up a good day.

I heard the police are out there on a regular basis. Someone has to clean up the carnage.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
No joke...I've bought and sold about 30 bikes in the last 5 years. :eek:
From cruisers, to sport bikes, to enduros...everything. I've seen and heard it all...

I typically purchase used bikes, and 99% of the time steer clear of dealerships. Of my dealership transactions, half of them have misrepresented their bike to me. Nearly EVERY private party transaction I've had, the seller has been honest regarding the bike's condition. That includes out of state purchases.

For me, buying new doesn't make sense. The first year depreciation is far to significant for me to purchase new. Sellers are oftentimes shocked to realize that the bike they paid $15k for is selling for $10k a year later.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
No joke...I've bought and sold about 30 bikes in the last 5 years. :eek:
From cruisers, to sport bikes, to enduros...everything. I've seen and heard it all...

I typically purchase used bikes, and 99% of the time steer clear of dealerships. Of my dealership transactions, half of them have misrepresented their bike to me. Nearly EVERY private party transaction I've had, the seller has been honest regarding the bike's condition. That includes out of state purchases.

For me, buying new doesn't make sense. The first year depreciation is far to significant for me to purchase new. Sellers are oftentimes shocked to realize that the bike they paid $15k for is selling for $10k a year later.
All of what you say, I have found true with the exception of UTV's.

Owners of UTV's are the most dishonest sellers out there. We beat the crap out of, sink and mod. Yet when sell say things like, never been mudded, never been wet, never been sank. Dang if that was true " it never had been ridden" LOL

MC sellers, well we are a different breed since most of us are proud of our bikes. ( no longer own any because I can't ride)

As far as off the lot value anything with a motor loses as soon as you take possession.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've bought 2 new, and a few used.
Shop at the right time and the price difference between new and 2 years old isn't much.

I buy them to keep usually, so don't care about resale.
My first KTM is an 01, bought in 02.
Bought another used, rode it for 3 years, did only maintenance and tires, sold for $200 less than I bought it for. :D

I had a lot more than $200 worth of fun on it.

I think most motorcycle guys are different, like you said we are proud of them and take care of the machine.
The guys here with quads and SXS just beat them like they stole them, only fix things when they won't work anymore and then figure they can power wash them and claim they only used it to go to church on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Glad you found one.

When buying the Tundra, I e-mailed a bunch of dealers. Had a good deal 4 hours away. Local dealer kept bugging me to come in and said he would match. I went in and he would NOT match the deal, he was $800 higher. I said thanks, but no thanks and started to walk out. He said, "You would drive 4 hours away to save $800?" My reply was, "That's like paying myself $100 per hour to go pick up the truck and drive back. It's a no-brainer." He got within $300 so I agreed to a deal.

I tried to make a deal on a motorcycle when I was 22. I was ready to pay cash for last year's model in stock. Started negotiating with the salesman and the OWNER comes over. He tells me to come back with my dad if I want to buy a motorcycle. I told him to go F**K himself and said I will take my cash to another dealer. Went down the road and paid cash for a newer model at a lower price.

I went to test drive a 2012 tacoma at a ford dealership when I was 18 and the the asked how I was going to pay for it. I could have bought it cash.

He was also selling a 2012 for 2k more than the sticker price of a new one. I had no intention of buying it I just wanted to see if it would fit on my parents drive way.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've had some headaches with dealerships. The biggest hassle was the Triumph Speed Four I bought back in 2003. I started off wanting one of the newly FI'd SV650s. I went in the dealership every few days asking if they knew when they were getting any in. Every time they just shrugged it off. Eventually I ended up at the Triumph dealership just to browse around and found out the Speed Fours were $1000 off, so they ended up only being $700 more, and the Triumph was WAY more bike for the money. I ended up jumping on that one. I had done everything up to that point, but still had to have my dad co-sign on the loan(was right out of high school, no real credit yet). I did all the talking, signing, wrote the check, the only thing my dad did was sign a few papers for the loan. The dealership ended up screwing me by putting the entire loan in his name. We didn’t find out until a month later when the payment information showed up in the mail. I ended up paying the entire thing off and didn’t get the slightest bit of credit for it on my credit report just because the dealership screwed me around with it. Had a never ending stream of warranty problems with them, all over a few problems that were so simple I could’ve fixed them myself, but wasn’t going to because it was still in warranty. It was mainly a BMW dealership so you can imagine how much they cared about a 19yo on a triumph.
Next time I stopped in the original dealership to look around, the salesman that recognized me said “look what we’ve got!” and pointed over to a new SV650. Then he noticed I had a helmet in my hand, looked out and saw a new Triumph in the lot, and got a bit of a sad face that he lost what would’ve been an easy sale, all because they couldn’t be bothered to act interested when I asked them when they were getting a new bike in.
At this point I usually just stick to lightly used bikes on craigslist. It’s so much more pleasant than going through dealerships. I don’t plan on keeping bikes around for 150k miles, so I’m not as worried about getting something previously loved. Just buy it, ride it, and replace it a few years later. If you’re good at craigslist you can usually end up selling the bike for the same price, if not more than what you paid for it after you put a few thousand miles on it. I’ve done that with the last 3 bikes I’ve owned. It’s like getting a free bike and all you have to do is pay for gas, tires and insurance.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Looks nice. Great deal.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Nice looking bike, glad it all worked out for you

41 - 60 of 75 Posts