Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Well, made it official today . . . finalized a a deal on a '18 Platinum, Mag Gray.

Regretted the day (each and every day) since I left my '14 Platinum for a RAM 1500 over the past couple of years. Very much looking forward to getting back to the reliability, value, large cabin, great power plant, as well as the new Toyota Safety features.

Excited to start the build! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing too major in terms of trouble . . . but more than a handful of small things . . . fuel sensor, fan motor assembly, wiper motor, some recalls, etc. Enough to be annoying.

The RAM never 'fit' or felt right for me . . . yes, the ride is great. Tons of tech. But the build had its imperfections and it showed more and more as it aged.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nothing too major in terms of trouble . . . but more than a handful of small things . . . fuel sensor, fan motor assembly, wiper motor, some recalls, etc. Enough to be annoying.

The RAM never 'fit' or felt right for me . . . yes, the ride is great. Tons of tech. But the build had its imperfections and it showed more and more as it aged.
More details on the Ram? I test drove a '17 Rebel last weekend and I loved it, I wasn't really looking for a truck but a buddy and I had our plans cancelled for the afternoon so we went and test drove trucks. Drove a '17 F-150 and an '18 Tundra. I liked the Ram way more than I thought I would... Can't stop thinking about the damn thing actually...

Anyway, welcome back and congrats on the truck! :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Space for sure. Only way you could've gotten that back was with a MegaCab. I've been in some RAMs with the 8.4 Uconnect. I much prefer the simplicity of my Tundra. I mean why do I want a button AND an option on my touchscreen to control my temperature, fan speed, heated seats??? WHY!? I've never understood it.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Welcome from MI.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
More details on the Ram? I test drove a '17 Rebel last weekend and I loved it, I wasn't really looking for a truck but a buddy and I had our plans cancelled for the afternoon so we went and test drove trucks. Drove a '17 F-150 and an '18 Tundra. I liked the Ram way more than I thought I would... Can't stop thinking about the damn thing actually...

Anyway, welcome back and congrats on the truck! :cool:
What was the price tag on the rebel?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man.

About the RAM ~ There were a number of things that I liked about the truck, but just as many things that I didn't. On the plus side -- It has a great ride. Some nice tech. And a driving experience that is very car like.

All of that is cool, but to be honest there were some 'truck-like' elements that I missed about the Tundra.

I'm a tall guy, so the bigger cab feel is important to me. The RAM always felt like a car inside to me and not a truck. The second thing that comes to mind is 'build quality' . . . I don't really know how to describe it, but the Toyota just feels/looks tighter and much more utilitarian. Yes, the RAM has tons of stuff . . . storage everywhere . . . but all the nooks and crannies and pieces and parts felt/looked cheap. Wear and tear shows more quickly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nothing bad about the Rebel except the depreciation, and that goes for a lot of trucks. MSRP $53,000. Asking $43,000. And as you said, probably more room to negotiate. Imagine having bought one in the summer for a “great deal” at $47,000. Depreciation hit on that truck is going to be huge unless you buy it at the perfect time. I did not buy my GMC at the perfect time and my invoice minus a $2000 rebate deal seemed great until they were selling less than invoice plus a $5000 rebate plus additional trade in allowance. I was upside down in that truck for almost 4 years. I don’t worry about that kind of depreciation with the Tundra. They might do some deals, but nothing crazy.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing bad about the Rebel except the depreciation, and that goes for a lot of trucks. MSRP $53,000. Asking $43,000. And as you said, probably more room to negotiate. Imagine having bought one in the summer for a “great deal” at $47,000. Depreciation hit on that truck is going to be huge unless you buy it at the perfect time. I did not buy my GMC at the perfect time and my invoice minus a $2000 rebate deal seemed great until they were selling less than invoice plus a $5000 rebate plus additional trade in allowance. I was upside down in that truck for almost 4 years. I don’t worry about that kind of depreciation with the Tundra. They might do some deals, but nothing crazy.
VERY good point. I think that I've blacked out the bad memory of my RAMs depreciation. It's almost criminal. Made it a very expensive truck to have/drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.