Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: Recently bought a truck that had an ignition switch lock replaced in the past and the ignition key did not match other locks on the truck. I only had the single ignition key and had a mechanical key to fit the door. Visited a locksmith who could duplicate the key pattern, but could not program the key to mate the the truck's immobilizer. Then visited a Toyota dealer, but they weren't able to duplicate the ignition key, having only the capability of cutting a key to match the VIN. At this point I figured the best thing would be to have the ignition lock cylinder modified to match the VIN and was dreading removal of steering wheel, air bag, etc as described in the Tundra service manual. Here is a method of removing the ignition lock cylinder using only a 10 mm wrench, a bent piece of wire, and a Phillips screwdriver. This procedure was performed on a 2011 base Tundra. There are many more photos, should you desire.

The Procedure:

For safety, disconnect the battery (10 mm nut on the negative post)

Turn the steering wheel to expose and remove Philips screws on either side to allow removal of lower steering column cover..

Remove the lower steering column cover.

Remove unlock warning switch cable, transponder key amplifier, and then unlock warning switch.

Insert ignition key and turn to the accessory position.

Insert bent wire into hole in ignition lock cylinder housing to depress the pin that retains the lock cylinder.

Pull cylinder from cylinder housing using key in accessory position while that pin continues to be depressed by the bent wire.

Installation is reverse of the above.

Reprogram radio stations, reset clock, etc.

Hardest part was locating the locating the lock cylinder release pin and jiggling the cylinder free of the housing (I never determined was was hanging it up).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally, that was my intent, to keep a mechanical key kept in a magnetic box hidden behind the bumper for emergency access to the cab, and rely on using the mismatched ignition key with remote on a daily basis. However, I wanted a duplicate ignition key in case the original was misplaced since it is a much bigger headache if you wind up without having any master keys. I was unsuccessful obtaining a duplicate ignition key from a locksmith or Toyota dealer. By re-keying the ignition lock to the VIN, any dealer can make a duplicate key -- though I would never go to them for this service after learning about cheap Chinese adapters and TechStream on TundraTalk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know why, but my cylinder was hanging up too. I just sort of jiggled it and it came free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, finally got it after 3 hours! Finally I kept getting the key out, turning the steering wheel until it locked, trying again, getting the key out, putting the key in, turning the steering wheel until it was unlocked, trying again fiddling with the release button, I gave up using wire and used a dental tool, not sure if that made a difference. But when it came out, it just slid right out. Now I have my old key taped inside the amplifier coil, which is off the cylinder, until I can get the chip stuff reprogrammed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to learn you found a solution. Maybe the hook on the end of your wire wasn't look enough?

Seems like I only paid $35 for the bootlegged Chinese TechStream software and hardware adapter through Amazon. You'll be able to program your key using that along with a lot of other useful things. Best $35 I ever spent. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts